3rd gen Starting problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen Starting problems

ok guys i need some advise for a friend... he recently got another camaro (now he has 2) and well the 87 or 88 iroc (can't remember the year off the top of my head like i said he recently got it) and now she don't start anymore. she quit while his friend was borrowing the car and now we need to start trying to find out why... and its not real easy cause this car is really a lot of cars put together... a 350 TPI motor from some car... not even sure it was a f-body motor... a turbo buick transmission.... the fuel system from the mysterious vehical that donated the motor... all of the unknows are the reason im glad my car was never messed with. But anyways now i wanna know do you guys have any advise on what we should check? he seems convinced that its the pump but i'm don't think hes done enough checking to make sure he doesn't have other bigger problems that caused this

1. Checking all the wires for broken or loose ones
    2. Checking for to make sure fuel is being delivered to injectors
    3. Checking fuel pressure to make sure that the pump isn't just limping along
    4. Check starter

im not the best guy to ask for help with computer controlled cars but when a friend needs help you gotta do what you can... so now imma ask you guys what all should i check and how can i do it the "cheapest" way
    1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

check the pickup coil and the ignition module. i kno when my tbi car died, everything check out good cept for both of those
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Will do man i just wish we knew what was in this car...

Comment

If you want to check the pump, when the car is cold, and you turn the key part of the way (not to the start position) and you should hear the fuel pump hum for a second or two to prime the injectors. Also there is a way to get to run by activating a circuit somewhere maybe 88bird5speed knows what i mean?

My friend had a car like that though and it was a mess, when you have a frankenstein car like that you can end up running into a lot of difficulties. I say that maybe the best thing to do would be to talk to the guy who put it together. it might help
        -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

i know but the thing is the car was is third hand to my friend even ...ok so heres how the story goes....
          the 1st owner or at least i think the first owner did all the mods himself but didn't keep track of them then he got in a high speed police case and the car was impounded after he tried hiding in an apartment complex... out running the cops was easy, but he couldn't get away fromt he wirlybird... anyway then the 2nd owner picks it up from the police auction for 500$ then turns around and sells it to my friend kevin for 1000 kevin only really wants it for the motor and rear end but he needs it to be able to drive... its a really really fast car the title was being held by the police and it came with the police report from the case... clocked doing 170+... wouldn't have belived it but i've seen the report

Comment

the starter would click and not turn if it's going out on you...or did.

Any more symptoms would help out...did it just die?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

i dunno I havn't seen the car since it was towed to his house im going over there tonight so i'll give you guys more info tonight

Comment

speaking of 3rd gens not starting or running, i was on my way to work after i went to the dmv, and as soon as i was within 500feet of my job, my car died(my t/a) coasted it to work, brought it in the shop and order a new dizzy. 2nd one within 1.5 years
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

well i went over yesterday and took a look at his engine for my first time. All i can say is that i don't know who franinstined this car but they were either a genis or insane. i didn't know cars had both a serpinten and v belt setup, but im not positive what some of the things that the V-belts spins are even... but it doesn't matter cause neiter of em got belts on them so i dunno. well i tried to start the car and it turned over fine with my friend in shock casue it wouldn't start for him no matter what he did. but the idle was horrible i took a look in the engine bay and almost half a dozen vacume lines werent hooked up. so i hooked up the ones where i could see where they were going and others i just had to plug, and that solved the idle problem but now i gotta figure out where his tick is coming from, well i know its one of the center 4 cylinders but i can't tell which cause its too loud i think its a rocker arm or a dead lifter but im not sure thats another day cause i know this car is gonna have more problems and im gonna have to help him try and fix them

Comment

Working...
                  X