X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAC problem

Hi everyone,
    long time since my last problem.

Ok, after replacing the old opti for a brand new ac delco and a new set of MSD wires.
    The car start very strong,two minutes later begins a little high rpm (1000-1500) but an any moment it goes at very lows rpm, sometimes it almost dies.
    I got no codes on my scanner, but i notice that IAC valve has not movements , just still 16, no matter if I push the pedal to the floor....just still 16.
    I know the IAC is bad, my question is, how to replace it?
    it looks like the valve its screw in to TB.
    All the others valves I have replaced on my cars, has 2 little screws, but not this one.

btw, its a 93 Firebird Formula.
    thanks in advance.
    sorry for my bad english.

My 94 had two little screws holding the IAC to the TB. It comes off really easy.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Indeed, 1993 IACs are different and screw into the TB.

Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Oh wow, there is a bleeder in there too. I never knew that.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I wouldn't jump so quick to the conclusion its a faulty IAC valve. What you see when you hook a scanner to the ECM is the position the ECM is telling the valve to move to. It is not the actual position of the valve you are scanning.... there is no feedback as to the actual position.

Moving the throttle isn't really a good test.... once the TPS goes over 1.0V, the idle speed is no longer controlled at the same position. Watch it while it idles, and see how it reacts to the high or low idle speed. If its idling OK, and RPM starts to move up or down, does the ECM try and adjust the IAC valve? It should. If it doesn't, its an ECM problem.

Shoebox has a "how to" for checking the windings of the IAC valve using an ohm meter, if I recall correctly.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You are right Fred.
            The IAC valve should be works only at idle.
            but, It was not idling.
            well, what i did was unscrew the valve,to find out that IAC was completely stuck on.
            I replaced it and after a few minutes of erratic idle the car begins to works fine.

thanks so much Rob, that diagram helps me a lot.
            thanks everyone.

Comment

The IAC does move at times other than when its idling... it opens up as road speed and RPM go up to keep the engine from stalling if the throttle blades close suddenly.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X