Rear end probs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end probs

I have a 91 firebird with a v6 it sat for like 6 months before i talked mommy to give it to me lol.I did a tune up running ok but when i make a left there is a klunckin noise so i jacked up the rear to see if it was the shocks but when i pull on the tire it moves just a bit in and out the noise is coming for the axle would changing the gear oil make a def ? has anyone had this prob or know what can i do?? I know nothing about rear ends
    white91bird

You can try changine the gear oil, it is cheap enough.

If that doesnt solve it, the most economical solution is to get a rear from a wrecked 4th gen Z28 and swap it in. It is a direct bolt in swap and you will get limited slip as well as rear disk brakes out of the deal.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

ok tks

I am going to changine the gear oil . Around How much will used rearend cost and how can you tell if its still good?
      white91bird

Comment

Originally posted by blackflag62206
        I am going to changine the gear oil . Around How much will used rearend cost and how can you tell if its still good?
        I'd expect to pay $200 - $250 for a good one. The best way to tell if it has problems visually is to look for evidence of leaking and check for endplay in the axles. If it is in a wreck and you are able to ask the owner if it ever gave them problems that would be even better. Also, request the e-brake cables be included. It would also be nice if it had under 75,000 miles on it.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

keep in mind if you go to a newer year model like a 4th gen. the axel length is a little longer than the 3rd gen. cars , argo the wheel to wheel well look changes. I dont know how close you run your tires to your wheel wells now but you will need a little room. OME 3rd gen. wheels will fit fine with the 4th gen. axel on a 3rd gen. car. ( did this to a friends car )

Comment

If i put a 4th gen rearend on my 3rd gen firebird will the stock 91 rims still fit ? I guess they will just want to make sure.
            white91bird

Comment

Working...
            X