Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Rust Stains from Engine Bay Paint...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Rust Stains from Engine Bay Paint...

Hey everyone,
    I want to clean up my engine bay. On the passenger side of the engine bay, it looks like the radiator spit rusty coolant all over the paint and it was never cleaned up. The white paint has a brown color to it in that area. I am hoping I dont have to repaint. Can you guys suggest any way to remove it. Mabey a special cleaner? The paint in the engine bay doesnt have a gloss to it so I was thinking of getting some fine sand paper and trying to wet sanding it.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

try some of these:

simple green
    gunk engine brite
    gumout

I wouldnt sand it or rub on it too much, that paint is very thin in the engine bay. It scratches easily right down to the primer.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

"0000" ot steel wool and lemon juice work great at removing rust stains. The "0000" ot steel wool is so fine it won't scratch your paint IF you are very careful not to rub past the rust. You can also use WD-40 instead of the lemon juice.

Simple Green and engine degreasers really don't have any rust removing chemicals.

Comment

Working...
      X