Stripped Oil Pan/Bolt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Oil Pan/Bolt

I over-torqued my oil pan drain plug, stripping the bolt and the pan. Years ago, the pan/bolt was stripped by a shop, and I am not quite sure how they fixed it.

It looks like it would be a pain to remove the pan. Anyone have any ideas on the best way for me to fix it? Does anyone know anything about helicoil?

Thanks
    1997 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
    Black, stock

buy a single oversized bolt(whatever the bolt is now but just ask for a single oversized) or a double oversized bolt if that single screws right in. make sure u get the replacement bolt with a another bolt in it, that way u can use JB weld on the threads of the repleacement bolt and prevent any leaks. and u then use the smaller bolt in the middle.
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If the threads aren't too bad, you can use an oversized drain plug available at most autp parts stores. If the threads are chewed up pretty bad, Thexton and Fram both make drain plug repair kits. I've also seen a few shops use the Fram Sure Drain in place of the damaged pan threads.

I wouldn't reccomend trying to use a Helicoil, because you risk getting metal shavings on the inside of the pan when you tap for the Helicoil.

Comment

Alright, I'm getting ready to replace the oil pan.

When I take off the y-pipe section on the driver's side that has a catalytic converter welded to about a foot of pipe, am I going to have to replace any collector gaskets?

Thanks
        Black, stock

Comment

Your gaskets are 9 years old, right??? And spray those studs a day in advance so you don't twist one of those off.

Comment

Yea, that's what I figured, thanks.

Is there any need for me to take apart the passanger side ones too and replace those collector gaskets?
            Black, stock

Comment

Working...
            X