Paint cracking up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint cracking up

On my 94 maro Ive had the rear bumper resprayed 3 times now, and the paints cracked again! Now to make it look worse the paint is flaking!
    How can I stop it cracking? Why is it cracking? I wanna fix this for good, not just another 18months!
    Screaming Mad
    Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
    Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
    0-60 7.74
    1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Originally posted by Screaming mad
    On my 94 maro Ive had the rear bumper resprayed 3 times now, and the paints cracked again! Now to make it look worse the paint is flaking!
    How can I stop it cracking? Why is it cracking? I wanna fix this for good, not just another 18months!
    When you paint a flexible part like a bumper you have to add a flex agent to the paint to keep it from getting hard and cracking.

Usually the flaking of paint is caused by improper preparations of the surface before painting. I had a body shop paint a bumper without priming it first. That is a no no with bumpers. It flaked off in like 2 years.

If it's doing either there is no way to stop it. The only repair is to strip it and do it right.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      The only repair is to strip it and do it right.
      Stripping it is of huge importance.

I'm guessing this is what is causing your problem. Did they strip it the last couple times they repainted it? If they don't strip it, and they paint over the old cracked paint it is only a matter of time before the cracks come through the new paint.

You have to strip off all the old paint first before you refinish a bumper cover.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

With a closer look it looks as though the bumper has not been rubbed down enough, it does not look as though it has been sanded? I expected to see rough looking plastic, but it looks like new!
        This bumper has been painted 3? times now!
        Each time costing me 500pounds $900?
        After 18 months I dont have a recipt, do you think its worth going to complain at the paint shop?
        As it keeps happening is the bumper maybe very weak in that area from a crash? or is the paint not made right?
        Screaming Mad
        Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
        0-60 7.74
        1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

Do you keep going to the same place to get it painted? If so its probably time to go somewhere else, but it may be worth it to go to the shop and talk to them and explain how it keeps flaking off. Maybe then can give it to you for free, 900 seems a little steep to repaint a bumper, but i dont know that much about body stuff, but i figure you can get a whole car done for a couple thousand so closoe to half that just for the bumper cover seems high.
          -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

I had mine repainted at a GM dealership for $252.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by thenuge876
              Do you keep going to the same place to get it painted? If so its probably time to go somewhere else, but it may be worth it to go to the shop and talk to them and explain how it keeps flaking off. Maybe then can give it to you for free, 900 seems a little steep to repaint a bumper, but i dont know that much about body stuff, but i figure you can get a whole car done for a couple thousand so closoe to half that just for the bumper cover seems high.
              Well this morning I had spare hour, so I popped to the paint shop I had bumper done last two times, I was very polite and explained what had happened....

Guy said somebody must have hit the bumper cause it wouldn't just flake off like that, I tried to explain he painted it before and the same thing happened! And you can see plastic is shiny and has not been rubbed down...

He said 350 + tax! and walked off!

I will never use this paint shop again! Worst thing is this is a paint shop with a very good repetation!

Well least I kept my cool, and was polite Even if he wouldnt stick by his work, and just walked off!

Have to find new paint shop

Should I think about gettin new fender as well
              Screaming Mad
              0-60 7.74
              1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Comment

It could also be improper prep as well as no flex agent in the paint. See if you can find a shop that will use PPG paint. Most shops will offer a lifetime warranty on PPG paint.

Comment

Working...
                X