speedo questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo questions

I saw a 94 z conv. on Ebay today that confused me. It had a 150 MPH speedo. I thought the conv. models all got the 110 speedo and matching computerized limiter. How did this car end up with the 150? Did ordering the Eagle GSC tire package include the faster speedo on the conv? My car has the 3.42 ratio performance axle and the 6 speed stick. I don't believe it was ordered with the z rated eagles though. What would be involved in swapping up to the 150 speedo in my car and getting rid of the limiter? What if I swaped the PCM and guage cluster from a wrecked hardtop? I would like white-faced guages and have not seen any in the 110 variety.

did I stump the F-board?

Comment

My last F-bod a 95 formula T-top A4 had 150 MPH speedo but had the speed limiter and 2.73 gears. So you can definately get the 150MPH speedo but still be stuck with the crappy gears and limiter. Wish I had known that before I bought it. To swap out gauges, get rid of limiter etc you'll need to reprogram the computer. Also the 2.73 gears suck unless you do alot of highway driving. Ends up being kind of pricey and time consuming to change gears, swap gauge cluster and reprogram. Might be easier just to find one without the limiter etc. That's what I did when I bought my Z28 no limiter, good gears woohoo Besides I never could figure out why GM would offer a 4th gen V8 F-bod without Z rated tires and speed limited. What can that save a couple hundred bucks off the sticker? What's the point of owning a nuetered high performance car? I guess maybe I can see the point for the convertibles but the hardtops and Ts? Anywhoo hope I could help.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

It doesn't take much to reprogram the speed limiter and swap gauge clusters. Heck, a used gauge cluster is a direct 1 hr bolt in and costs $75 on average.

Comment

SO... if I just plug in a 150 MPH cluster will it read properly? OR will the needle position still reflect the increments from the old 110 speedo resulting in incorrect readings?

Comment

I was looking for info on swapping out the 110 for the 150 cluster. Found this thread.
            Does anybody know if anything else has to be done to get the 150 cluster to read the correct mph?
            Also, will the computer out of the car with the 150 cluster work as long as it is a 94 w/A4 and no speed limiter? Will that get rid of the limiter?
            1994 T/A A4 No mods........yet

Comment

Anybody know anything about this?

Comment

Its plug & play. Just swap the cluster. The PCM doesn't need to know which one is in the dash. Speedo will work correctly.

The only way to get rid of the speed limiter is to alter the speed limit entry in the PCM. Any mail order tuner can do that, or its one of the few useful things a used Hypertech Power Programmer can change. Or you can buy tuning software and change it yourself.

If you plan on driving 150MPH, you should have the correct speed rated tires on the car.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I swapped the 235-55-16's out for z rated 245-50-16's. I also have the stock rims back on the car, not the V-6 camaro rims in my picture. I don't plan on doing 150mph but it would be nice to know that I could if I wanted to, LOL. So swapping the computer out would NOT remove the speed limiter. Isn't the limiter controled by the computer?

Comment

You would have to make sure the PCM was out of a vehicle that left the factory with Z-rated tires (RPO QLC). Cheaper to have yours programmed, including a correction for your tire size change, and pick up a few HP at the same time with a simple mail-order tune. As it stands now, your speedo is reading 2% lower than actual speed.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Cool man, thanks for the info! What would be a good company to do the mail order tune?

Comment

http://www.madz28.com/

http://www.pcmforless.com/
                        Fred

Comment

Working...
                        X