Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing Chain Replacement: Need Advise On Pulling Crank Gear...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Chain Replacement: Need Advise On Pulling Crank Gear...

I'm replacing the timing chain and gears. I'm using a 3 Jaw puller to pull the crank gear off the crankshaft. So I don't turn the crank while pulling it off, I've locked a pair of vice grips on the gear without touching the crankshaft hub. The gear has moved a tiny bit..... The problem I'm having is the puller keeps popping off the gear. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Is the hub already removed? I think the crank sprocket is pressed on so a puller would be required, but im pretty sure you need to remove the hub first if you havent already done so. Once the hub and damper are off the sprocket shoul come off with a puller as loong as the cam sprocket and timing chain have been removed. But im not 100% sure perhaps some pictures of what you are refering to would help?
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Adjust the jaws of your puller so they don't slip off.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
        Adjust the jaws of your puller so they don't slip off.
        That about sums it up.

Comment

Some pullers have the wrong geometry and they place the jaws at an angle which works against you when you tighten the screw, especially if the edge that does the pulling is fairly small. As a result of that, I have several pullers and usually I can find some combination of jaws & holes that makes it work.

Comment

Cool. This puller has small edges on the jaws - I should try another one with larger edges so it grips the gear better. Thanks for the help everyone!
            Darrin C
            '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
            07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
            X