Shipping crate size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping crate size

As I prepare to order my Lt1 longblock (no oil pan) for a rebuild, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the size of the shipping crate would be so I know which vehicle to use to pick it up.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

The ideal vehicle would be a van or pickup truck.

Getting it in a trunk, hatch or backseat will not work.

I brought mine home in my minivan, but it was not crated. Believe it or not, I found a local guy willing to sell a nearly complete torn down 4bolt LT1 shortblock. The only pieces missing are the crank, cam and balancer. He even included the oil pan, timing cover and a set of valve covers! It came with all the odds-n-ends parts too, like the water pump drive, a nearly new timing set, the oil pump drive gear/stubshaft and all the fasteners to assemble it.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thats a pretty cool deal traceZ yeah I've got a truck I can use, I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok, just for final arrangements. Thanks.
      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Comment

Originally posted by thenuge876
        Thats a pretty cool deal traceZ yeah I've got a truck I can use, I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok, just for final arrangements. Thanks.
        Yeah, the price was even cooler... $200.

Lets see some pictures of yours when you get it home.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Will do man, im really stoked to start workiing on this. My girlfriend has already started saying....the three of us can go out this weekend...and when i ask who she goes, me you and your engine

Ill get some pics up as soon as I can.

I think im able to get my longblock for like 250 so with all that extra stuff thats d@mn good!
          -Dan

Comment

I mean my mom has an '02 outback that my parents were wondering if we could use, but i kept saying it probably wouldnt work. Im gonna end up documenting the whole thing, including the transplant into a thirdgen, so ill keep everyone updated. Im sure ill ahve some questions along the way.
            -Dan

Comment

Most longblocks are shipped in a cardboard box with a plactic shell insert as the support inside. The boxes are not much bigger than the longblock itself. A truck or van would be the easiest like Tracy said. They aren't too heavy either. 2 guys can lift it into the back of a truck.

Comment

even with iron heads on them? And (im assuming the package is over 150lbs) when it gets shipped freight does anyone know if i only pay the shipping rate, or if I have to pay all of the shipping charges and stuff too. Becuase if thats the case then it becomes much more expensive.
                -Dan

Comment

even with iron heads on them? And (im assuming the package is over 150lbs) when it gets shipped freight does anyone know if i only pay the shipping rate, or if I have to pay all of the shipping charges and stuff too. Becuase if thats the case then it becomes much more expensive.
                  It cost me around $225 to ship my LT1 longblock, and just a hair less when I recently received a Vortec 5700 longblock. You pay the entire freight cost, not sure what you mean by "and stuff too"?

Comment

The other stuff was the rate for shipping plus the fuel charge, along with whatever taxes and fees were involved (they didnt list them directly).

I only mentioned this becuase the guy I spoke to at the company quoted me a price reflective of only the rate to transport it (not any of the other fees) So I need to find out if he neglected to tell me about the rest of the freight charges. Thanks though and sorry about the lack of clarity.
                    -Dan

Comment

The other stuff was the rate for shipping plus the fuel charge, along with whatever taxes and fees were involved (they didnt list them directly).

I only mentioned this becuase the guy I spoke to at the company quoted me a price reflective of only the rate to transport it (not any of the other fees) So I need to find out if he neglected to tell me about the rest of the freight charges. Thanks though and sorry about the lack of clarity.
                      Well, whenever you call FedEx Feight or DHL Freight or whoever, the quote(price) they give you will include everything. They don't ever just give you a ship rate only quote.

BTW, with FedEx Freight, first time shippers get a 40% discount. A little secret FedEx doesn't advertise.

Comment

Oooh thats a nice size discount, I'll have to check that out. Ill let you guys kn ow what I find out, thanks for all the help.
                        -Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X