T-Top Keys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Top Keys

No one around here said they will copy an new key for my T-tops without a title and everything even though the car I got tops from is in a salvage yard.

Is there a way to take the lock assembly apart and fabricate it to work on my door key?
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

couldnt u just bring the ttop with u? aint the proof enough
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
      couldnt u just bring the ttop with u? aint the proof enough
      Haha I tried telling the guy, Im like "The car was totalled and this was a part I got from it" he goes "Im not trying to sound annoying but you cant unless you have the plate number and regestration" me "The car is totalled!"
      1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

I think you need to bring in the title to your car as the key will be keyed to your car.
        I would just take it apart and replace the lock so it works for your passenger key.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Just take any old title or registration in, how can they tell that the lock you want copied is from the car listed on the title? It's a t-top!
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

go to a locksmith and tell them you lost the key and please make me a new one. or take the lock assembly apart and key it to match your key you have. or do you have the tee's that came with your car? if you do change the cylinders out.

Comment

Thats D-Town for ya allright. Youd think you were asking them to make you a key to the bank vault. But I agree with the above. Take the title and liscence number to your car, and poin to it after showing it to them and be like, See!! and then they probably wont question it.
              -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

My son's t-tops use the door key to lock and unlock - can't you just go to somewhere like K-mart and say I need a key made, and if he asks you what it fits, say its a door key to a pontiac even if its not the actual door key to your car, it was probably the door key to the car that the t-tops came out of-right? but he doesn't have to know that does he (or her) after all it is a door key too, so....

To be added soon-Firebird Graphic

Comment

also, if I am not mistaken, you can swap locks from one t-top to another

I don't see how a title is going to prove anything anyway
                  You must be dealing with a real anal person or something

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fbodcru
                    My son's t-tops use the door key to lock and unlock - can't you just go to somewhere like K-mart and say I need a key made, and if he asks you what it fits, say its a door key to a pontiac even if its not the actual door key to your car, it was probably the door key to the car that the t-tops came out of-right? but he doesn't have to know that does he (or her) after all it is a door key too, so....

On my 97 TA the t-top key was not the door key. Two very different keys.
                    Dave M

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a friend looking into the keys at a dealer. I didnt know you could get keys cut at K-Mart or those types of stores, they would be the easiest to fool over there! haha

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                        On my 97 TA the t-top key was not the door key. Two very different keys.
                        Hmm, I didn’t realize that some had a different kind of key than the door key to open the t-tops. My son’s car is also a 97, but he uses the same key for the doors, the rear hatch, the glove box, and the t-tops.
                        BlackThunder50, you could possibly tell them that it is a glove box key maybe?
                        I believe in 100% honesty, but the requirements that this person is asking for, before they will make a key is ridicules If you already have the key for the t-tops, that should be enough proof that they are your t-tops, right?, but I guess this person doesn't see it that way. I mean, if you were going to use the new key to steal somebody’s t-tops, why couldn't you just use the key that you already have? I don't know, maybe I am missing something here.
                        Anyway, as far as places that can make keys, I know that K-Mart, Ace Hardware, and I believe Autozone, Advance Auto, O’Reilly, and Walmart also make keys

Comment

actually, now that I think about it, maybe it was the door key...... man, my memory is losing it!
                          Dave M

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                            actually, now that I think about it, maybe it was the door key...... man, my memory is losing it!
                            It happens to the best of us

Comment

Working...
                            X