Woodruff Key - Aggravated!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodruff Key - Aggravated!

It seems like the woodruff key is stuck on the crankshaft - it's like the darn things welded on or something! I tried using a punch - hitting it on one end to get it to rotate out - that didn't work. I put vice grips on it to try to pull it out - didn't work. Does anyone have any pointers to getting this thing out?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
    It seems like the woodruff key is stuck on the crankshaft - it's like the darn things welded on or something! I tried using a punch - hitting it on one end to get it to rotate out - that didn't work. I put vice grips on it to try to pull it out - didn't work. Does anyone have any pointers to getting this thing out?
    Although there is a a machined provision on the LT1 crankshaft for a key, there is not one put in from the factory. The crankshaft hub is press fit. If you truly see a key, then it was an aftermarket keyed hub that someone put in.

You just need to use a puller to remove the hub from the crank.

BTW, don't ever hammer or hit on the crankshaft. You can actually offset the journals and/or main bearings, more inportantly the thrust bearing, and cause failure or significant vibration problems down the road.

Comment

I'm actually talking about the key that goes on with the Crankshaft Gear inside the timing cover - I'm doing the timing chain. I might just end up using the Dremel to carefully grind it out without touching the crank.......

Part of the original key sheared off when the crank position sensor reluctor wheel came loose - that's why I'm having to replace the key.
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

yea the lower timing gear uses a key on the crankshaft...I just tore my "extra" lt-1 apart this past weekend but I didnt try to pull the key out...Good luck
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

Yep, the key on the crank sprocket can be a bitch. I ended up using a heat gun directly on the crank sprocket, and it came right off. This was with the crank out of the motor. On yours, if you use heat on the sprocket, just be careful to not point it at the crankshaft oil seal.

Comment

Thanks - I'll try some heat and let you know how it goes.
            Darrin C

Comment

Heat the gear, touch the woodruff key with ice and tap it with small hammer. That should break the tension and it should pop out.

Comment

I've already got the gear off. I've got full access to the key - the darn thing won't budge and it's soft. I've used the punch on it a couple of times and it goes right into the key - still won't move.

Tonight, I'm gonna heat it up and use a chisel to try to knock it out.
                Darrin C

Comment

Working...
                X