Smashing the brake pedal to the floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smashing the brake pedal to the floor

I dont know how many of you guys have had a problem with your LT1 brakes but i seem to have to push my pedal almost all the way to the floor. I was driving my brothers 1992 S10 truck for the winter and that thing brakes 100x's better than my car. I tried bleeding my brakes but the 2 front bleeder screws wouldnt come undone. I didnt want to strip or crack the screw off but i tried with enough force for it to budge but nothing. The 2 back brakes bled fine. So i guess my question is how can i fix this, because i literally get really scared when i have to push the brakes hard cuz the t/a takes a little longer than i want it to for it to brake completly. The brake fluid is full also.

thanks
    tommy
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

The first thing you need to do is get those front bleeders open.

Once you have that done, do a complete fluid change. Use a mightyvac or similar handpump.

That should do it.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

ok thanks that will be the first thing i do when i bring the car out of storage. Anymore idea's guys?
      1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Comment

After I changed out the stock brake lines with Earls braided stainless the pedal feels tons better
        1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
        1 of 463
        LT4 knock module
        D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
        strut tower brace
        SLP fan switch
        160* t/stat
        Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
        DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

i agree, sounds like theres air in the line
          99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Ok so i guess my next question would be if the LT1's and the LS1's have the same brakes. I found some of the Earl Brake lines from Speed Inc. but only for LS1's. The link is http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Brakes. Would these work?

Comment

I'm not sure about the lines, but the brakes are different between the 2. The newer LS1 cars had bigger rotors and better calipers. You can buy upgrade kits on e-bay.
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Originally posted by purepwrta
                Ok so i guess my next question would be if the LT1's and the LS1's have the same brakes. I found some of the Earl Brake lines from Speed Inc. but only for LS1's. The link is http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Brakes. Would these work?
                The brakes are not the same between an LT1 and a LS1 car. The front rotors are about an inch bigger in the front and about a 1/2 bigger in the rear. LS1 cars have dual piston calipers in the front while the LT1 are single piston calipers. The rear caliper looks about the same but they are a different design with the emergency brakes. The front calipers on a LS1 cars mount and slide on the caliper while the LT1 cars mount on the caliper but slide on the knuckle.

I can't say that LS1 brake hoses will mount on an LT1 car. I'm thinking they won't. It would be to the advantage of Earls to say they would fit both if they could so I doubt it.
                Check out this pic. The Lt1 front brakes are on the left and the LS1 front brakes are on the right.
                http://www.claire-marie.net/LT1vsLS1_brakes.JPG
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. So where can i get some LT1 break lines?

Comment

Originally posted by purepwrta
                    Thanks for the clarification Jeff. So where can i get some LT1 break lines?
                    http://www.stealthperf.com/cgi-bin/store/28A030.html
                    Mike will match prices.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...p&vid=4&pcid=2
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

great thanks, im going to have my pops order them asap.

Comment

Working...
                      X