Cam Sprocket . . . Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Sprocket . . . Help!

I''m replacing my timing chain. Got the crank sprocket installed with new key. I cannot get the cam sprocket and chain installed - It won't go on no matter what I do.

All the installation guides that I've read simply state "install the chain over the cam sprocket and install" . . . . .whatever! What the heck am I doing wrong??

The dowel pin on the cam won't line up with the hole in the sprocket. Are there any tricks to get it installed???
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Wheeew . . . . Got it.

I just had to spin the cam a bit to line it up.
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

This week's winner of the Homer Award

Comment

Okay . . . .I still need more advise. I got the cam sprocket (with the chain of course) on. You know how there's some slack in the chain on either side. The timing marks are lined up but it's with the chain very tight on the left side - the right side has all the available slack. I have this horrible feeling that it's not going to start when I put it back together.... what's your opinion?
        Darrin C

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
          Okay . . . .I still need more advise. I got the cam sprocket (with the chain of course) on. You know how there's some slack in the chain on either side. The timing marks are lined up but it's with the chain very tight on the left side - the right side has all the available slack. I have this horrible feeling that it's not going to start when I put it back together.... what's your opinion?
          Dont sweat it. The play in the chain should be very minimal. If you were to move it a tooth in either direction it would be way off. As long as the chain is on, has very minimal play and the dots line up you are all good.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Ahhhh . . . .(sigh of relief). Thanks Trace Z.
            Darrin C

Comment

. . . . got everything back together, triple checked all the connections, fluids back in, key in the ignition - the moment of truth....................no start - one tooth off. One more time . . . . . .
              Darrin C

Comment

. . . . got everything back together, triple checked all the connections, fluids back in, key in the ignition - the moment of truth....................no start - one tooth off. One more time . . . . . .
                how do you know that is the problem? Do you have spark and fuel?
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

When the motor is cranking, I hear a slight backfire and see/smell exhaust backing up through the throttle body. Plug wires are in the right places, fuel pump is engaging - I triple checked everything.

I can hear during the compression stroke that the valves are not closed all the way and it makes a "psssssssssst" sound.
                  Darrin C

Comment

Darrin - Is all you did is replace the timing chain? And if so, what made you decide the timing chain needed replacing? I don't see how you could get it off by a tooth - although I'm not saying it can't be done accidentally..

Comment

I replaced the timing chain and both gears.

The timing chain got so loose, it contacted the crank position reluctor and ripped the end of the key off. I had to put in a new key along with everything else.

The old gears were very worn - they had deep wear marks in the teeth from the chain and the chain itself was stretched when compared to the new chain.

I think it's off by a tooth because when I installed the new set, the marks were lined up but . . . the chain was very tight on one side, and loose on the other. I'm pretty sure when the chain is relaxed (not tight on one side or the other) it was one tooth off.
                      Darrin C

Comment

If you had the CKP sensor away from the reluctor, don't forget to do a CKP variation learn. Very important.

Comment

I replaced the timing chain and both gears.

The timing chain got so loose, it contacted the crank position reluctor and ripped the end of the key off. I had to put in a new key along with everything else.

The old gears were very worn - they had deep wear marks in the teeth from the chain and the chain itself was stretched when compared to the new chain.

I think it's off by a tooth because when I installed the new set, the marks were lined up but . . . the chain was very tight on one side, and loose on the other. I'm pretty sure when the chain is relaxed (not tight on one side or the other) it was one tooth off.
                          I dont understand how a brand new timing set could have enough play in it to make that mistake possible. It should be pretty snug on there.
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:

Comment

It's very possible and it's actually not all that uncommon for people to install timing chains one tooth off. Sounds to me like that is the problem. One side shouldn't be that much more tense when getting everything degreed.

And don't forget to do the CKP variation learn again if you pull the timing cover.

Comment

What's the process for the CKP relearn?
                              Darrin C

Comment

Working...
                              X