Confusion about cams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion about cams

OK...slow day at work, so I'm "desktop" building again.

Anyway, I'm confused about Comp Cams. Specifically, I've read for years about the CC305 and CC306 cams, with the 305 being better suited to stock bore/stroke engines needing to still pass emissions.

Whether this cam is better than the LT4 Hot Cam for ported heads on a 4.10 equipped M6 needing to retain street manners and pass the NJ sniffer test seems to be an ongoing debate though. I don't mind a bit of lope, so long as it can pass emissions with the proper tune. I don't want to leave power on the table either.

Anyway, my question is, is the CC305 the same cam as Comp Cams new Extreme Energy series? PN 07-305-8 is the Extreme Energy cam. It seems to have the same .510/.510,(.544/.544 w/ 1.6 rockers) 220/230, 114 ratings as the aforementioned CC305, but I can't determine if theses are in fact the same cams.

What are you thoughts?
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Do an advanced search for posts made by me about the "CC 306" and "CC 305". You should find most of your answers.

Comment

No flame intended...but already did that. Been around the block a few times as 10+ year veteran of F-body.com

What I cannot conclusively determine is: is the CC305 the same cam as the new Extreme Energy unit, P/N 07-305-8? I'm leaning towards believing these cams may have the same ratings, but the Extreme Energy may have a different lobe design. Is this better/worse/no different or is this the exact same cam as the CC305?

Also, assuming the new Extreme Energy design is the latest/greatest, can an argument still be made to support the now 10 year old LT4 Hot cam?
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        No flame intended...but already did that. Been around the block a few times as 10+ year veteran of F-body.com

What I cannot conclusively determine is: is the CC305 the same cam as the new Extreme Energy unit, P/N 07-305-8? I'm leaning towards believing these cams may have the same ratings, but the Extreme Energy may have a different lobe design. Is this better/worse/no different or is this the exact same cam as the CC305?

Also, assuming the new Extreme Energy design is the latest/greatest, can an argument still be made to support the now 10 year old LT4 Hot cam?
        Those 2 cams technically have the same part number. The Xtreme lobes are different. They have the exact same duration, lift, and LSA specs as there non-XE counterparts, but the valve is lifted more aggresively on the XE lobes and even more so with the XE-R lobes.

The clearance ramps, beginning of opening ramps, and base circle are I believe very similar if not the same. The real difference is in the area between the beginninng of the nose radius and upper part of the opening ramp. This is normally referred to as increased "rate of lift" or flank rate.

So while you are still getting the same overall effective peak lift and duration off the seat, you are increasing the flank rates so that the valve is lifted faster in order to get more air and fuel into the motor.

Comment

Got it! Makes sense now.

So, with this said, do you feel this now pushes the Extreme Energy 305 into the lead with respect to comparing it to the LT4 Hot cam's design?

I understand the new profile of the Ext. Energy requires a pretty solid valvetrain, but I am planning on addressing that with upgraded pushrods, CNC'd heads with .600 double valve springs, Pro Magnum Roller rockers, etc.

I'm looking at a streetable package with slight lope but emissions friendly.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Got it! Makes sense now.

So, with this said, do you feel this now pushes the Extreme Energy 305 into the lead with respect to comparing it to the LT4 Hot cam's design?

I understand the new profile of the Ext. Energy requires a pretty solid valvetrain, but I am planning on addressing that with upgraded pushrods, CNC'd heads with .600 double valve springs, Pro Magnum Roller rockers, etc.

I'm looking at a streetable package with slight lope but emissions friendly.
            You are much better off to go with a cam that has undergone extensive R&R from a speed shop that has a good background with LT1's. LT1's never really got much attention at Comp Cams as soon as the LSx's came out. All of their LT1 grinds are essentially an educated guess. The LS1's got much more attention as they should have. Now I'm not saying Comp doesn't make a good product, because they do. LT1's are just not one of their specialties.

Call Combination Motorsports and give them your engine specs, head flow, gearing, etc, etc. etc. And tell them your "version" of streetability, and they suggest an appropriate cam.

Comment

Working...
            X