Rear Hatch Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Hatch Release

My '99 has had this issue since I bought it. You hit the release and the hatch pops up a bit, but still catches. You have to hit the release, lift up a bit on the hatch, and hit the release again to get it to open. I've tried adjusting the rubber stops both ways, but it doesn't help. Any suggestions?
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Do your struts seem to raise and hold up the hatch ok? Maybe they are tired. Also try cleaning your weatherstripping to be sure it is not causing it to stick.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Struts seem strong enough. I know they don't work as well in cold weather, but the car has this problem year round. It could be, I know they aren't too expensive to replace. I could always return them if it doesn't work!
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I got the same problem. I bothers the crap out of me, so I just pull the hatch up as I press the remote to open. I don't even try to release it while in the car, cause you have to go back and forth to release the hatch.

It's the weather stripping. You can hear you stick to the hatch, especially where it curves up. I tried to clean it, but it still sticks. I'm thinking of getting silicone and seeing if that don't help.

Yes, cold days make it worse...

If you can figure out a way to fix it, let me know. I'll do the same.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I have an idea!!

Adjust the latch down just a hare so the hatch closes more firmly.

The result will be a hatch that pops open just enough when you hit the button that it does not re-latch itself.

Ok, tell me I'm brilliant. I know.
          I figured it out and my car doesnt even have a silly hatch!
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Got it! Here's what we need....

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ease_fix_2.htm

Don't worry TraceZ...we still think you're brilliant!
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Yeah, that would work too, but I'd try my idea first just because it does not require modifying the car from stock and is easier to implement. It should be able to work the way it was originally designed if everything is set up and asjusted properly.

They adjust the latch at the factory when the hatch's weatherstripping is new. As the car ages, the weatherstripping squishes down and does not fit as tight. As a result, the latch will need adjusting to release properly.

It makes perfect sense, at least give it a shot.

And yes, I am brilaint.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Yes, you are very bright Tracy I could tell that from the projects that you do. I would recommend trying the adjustment thing as well. Make sure to mark the position of the locking mechanism first, in case you have to move it back. You can do this by using something as insignificant as a sharp nail.
                Anyway, good luck let us know how it turns out-

To be added soon-Firebird Graphic

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                  Got it! Here's what we need....

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ease_fix_2.htm

Don't worry TraceZ...we still think you're brilliant!

Oh the glory!!! I know what I'ma gonna do when I wake up tomorrow!!! Lowe's here I come!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Man, ..., I can't believe how long it took for you guys to find this!
                    That was one of the first things I did to both of the 4thGen F-body's I've had.
                    Works pretty well, for a while, ...
                    1) 2001 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary Firehawk
                    2) 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP
                    3) 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTII
                    4) 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
                    5) 1996 Chevrolet Blazer
                    6) 1993 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Softail Springer

Comment

Condition Hatch Weatherstrip

My 2000 has the same problem but only during cold weather. I have conditioned the weatherstrip with Dielectric Silicone Grease and the problem has gone away. You can get the grease from the dealer. It's part number 12345579. This is also listed in your owner's manual under recommended lubricants for weatherstripping. Good Luck!
                      1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
                      2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Working...
                      X