Bouncing the rev limiter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouncing the rev limiter

Whenever my friends and I go driving we always stop some where and do some nice burnouts. But when my other buddies burnout, all of them bounce off the rev limiter like crazy! Isnt that bad for the car when you do that? Whenever I burnout I always keep the RPM's strong at like 4500-5000 and just let em roast without hitting the rev limiter at all. It just sounds like the engines going to break something when it revs high and bounces the limiter like crazy.
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Good questions, i was wondering the same thing. People do it at the autocross, alot of times they hit the rev limiter... i rarely do it when im racing.

But I dont think its as bad as it sounds. Im sure its not the best thing, but thats probably why it was invented... so it wouldnt cause damage.
    99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

It's no worse than the wear and tear that you are already doing to the car with the burnout. One school of thought is that there is a much greater tensile force being placed on the connecting rod when you rev the motor high with very little to no load being placed on the motor. This can be potentially be unusually stressful to the rotating assembly........blah.....blah.....blah

Smoke 'em up! If it breaks.....fix it!

Comment

It's not really that bad. It's there to protect the motor after all. Makes you sound like you can't drive though.
        '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
        Stock with an irratic idle...
        (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Working...
        X