Snow, & Tire Pressure!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow, & Tire Pressure!!!

What do you set the tire pressure in the front, and rear tires for driving in snow, and getting the best traction (tires are worn pretty bad)? Need to know ASAP. I might have to drive in snow tomorrow!
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

usually properly blown up, u could try a lil higher in the front and a lil lower in the back? otherwise, just stay home or take some1 elses car
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Just don't drive it in the snow. I have all-season tires and if there is the slightest bit of snow I'm not going anywhere. I already had to get towed off the side of the road once this winter. The narrower the tire is the better it will perform in the snow. If you lower the pressure in the tire it will increase the width=bad snow traction. My 89 with performs better in the snow than the 94 but neither one's a snow mobile.
      1989 TA
      Flowmaster exhaust
      Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
      K&N CAI
      Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

I doubt you'll improve traction. I wouldn't drive it. You run the risk of damaging it or someone elses car. If in doubt test it on a side street away from all traffic, but DON'T push it. It can come back and bite you!

Have you ever seen a dedicated snow tire? Go to tirerack.com and look at the tread on the blizzaks. The have a LOT of little grooves. Much more than a normal tire. That's where you get traction. I run snow tires in the winter and the difference is night and day. I drove on a similar surface with my Firehawk (summer only tire) and with my Blizzaks. Firehawks couldn't get up the slightest grade. Blizzaks would take me almost anywhere. I highly recommend you go that route if you live in an area that gets frequent snow. Best money I've spent so far! Really!
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
        X