Antenna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna

Has anyone ever swapped the fixed mast for a power antenna on a 4th gen? IIRC the Camaro never had a power ant option but I thnk the Firebird did. In the parts catalog however, there is a listing for Camaro and Firebird both.

How hard is it? Is the wiring harness already there on the fixed-mast model?

Dang car wash. My fixed antenna was getting bent so I went to (gently) bend the base back toward the car to straighten it and the thing snapped off - the stud that the antenna screws onto. So I'm probably going to have to replace that part called the Antenna Bracket next to the spare tire.

bruce
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

man get another fixed antenna. Power antenna's suck man. I've had them on 2 cars and always hated them.

Aside from that, I think the swap would be really easy. I have swapped fixed antenna's where power antenna's used to be. It's pretty easy. Very easy actually. On your 4th gen just remove the speaker cover in the hatch, and you will see everything you need to remove.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I swapped my power ant for a fixed one...or stubby, whatever you want to call it.

I hate the power antennas...

Stubbies look better anyway.

Just pull your cover and look at the assembly...you'll see how everything is setup. Pretty easy.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I'm wondering....if I just leave off the mast part, will that significantly reduce the reception? I haven't driven the car yet (will do that later today) but I wonder if it would even be noticeable just to leave it off, but with the stubby part still connected in there and sticking out of the fender.

bruce
        Bruce
        01 Camaro

Comment

dont know...when my power antenna went on me I left it down and reception was horrible.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I upgraded my TA to power antenna, allthough they are prepared for it.

Here's a nice writeup for a 4th Gen Camaro

http://www.geocities.com/mdw9965/power-antenna.htm

Another source here

http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/4_6.htm#ch4_6c
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
              I'm wondering....if I just leave off the mast part, will that significantly reduce the reception? I haven't driven the car yet (will do that later today) but I wonder if it would even be noticeable just to leave it off, but with the stubby part still connected in there and sticking out of the fender.

bruce
              My antenna part broke down to the stubby thing. And didnt get neary as good reception, if that answers your ?
              96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

yeah, at times its not that great. I can see that. And the "seek" feature doesn't work most times, probably because the signal is not strong enough so the "seek" function doesn't find it.

I'm probably going to replace it with an original. When the weather gets a little less cold!

bruce
                Bruce
                01 Camaro

Comment

Stop using the automatic car wash... You paint will thank you. (And so will your new antenna)
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

If you really want a nice custom touch, there are hidden replacement antennas. You remove the original one, fill the hole (bodywork required) and mount the hidden one along the upper edge of your rear hatch glass. It remains mostly unseen, reception is great and no more external antennae.

Comment

That sounds like the best solution to this stuff, if you can fill the whole it sounds like a great fix, especially if your stocker is already broken off.
                      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        If you really want a nice custom touch, there are hidden replacement antennas. You remove the original one, fill the hole (bodywork required) and mount the hidden one along the upper edge of your rear hatch glass. It remains mostly unseen, reception is great and no more external antennae.
                        do you have a link to a place that sells them for the F-Body?
                        bruce
                        Bruce
                        01 Camaro

Comment

I actually bought one a week ago. They are universal. I havent gotten a chance to install it because my car is in pieces right now, but heres a link to the one that I bought.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TVlxQvK...0&I=12044UA200
                          No F-Body right now

Comment

thanks!

bruce
                            Bruce
                            01 Camaro

Comment

When the antenna is leaning (bent) is it the mast that's bent or the bracket that the mast screws onto? Mine is leaning, and I want to correct it, but don't want to spend money on the mast if its the bracket.

Mast Price: 26.51
                              Mast Bracket: 17.24

Of course these prices are AC Delco prices. I appreciate a reply.

Thanks.
                              1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
                              2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Working...
                              X