egr manifold plug size??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egr manifold plug size??

ok pulled the A.I.R system, now i have two holes in my manifolds i need to plug, anyone happen to know what size thread those are?? i went to home depot there was nothing of the sort there mostly standard threads in the plumbing section this looks metric... thanks,

chris

If you have a hole in the exhaust manifold on both sides, you probably didn't remove your EGR system..... you removed the AIR system. AIR and EGR are two different and independant systems (except on 93's where some of the plumbing is combined).

If in fact you removed the AIR piping - look at Shoebox's website to confirm - and you have stock exhaust manifolds, you can plug them with M22-1.5 oil drain plugs.... not an exact thread match, but as close as you are going to find off the shelf.

The EGR system is a single corrugated tube that comes off the #8 primary runner on the manifold, and connects to the back of the intake manifold on the passenger side. On the back of the intake manifold on the drivers side is the EGR valve itself, and nearby the EGR vacuum solenoid.

Just curious..... why did you remove what you thought was the EGR system?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The plug for AIR connections on the headers might be a different size. Wasn't it some time in mid-production of '95 when they changed the thread size on those pipes? Can't remember if it went bigger or smaller though.
      '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

He has a 94. The single-cat manifolds, at least the ones in my 94 (and on both my JBA and AS&M headers) were M22. The dual cat manifolds, including the few CA A4 95 and the 96/97 cars use a smaller size plug. And as you pointed out, headers can be different, some even requiring caps rather than plugs.

The whole post is confusing.... he says he has headers, but he's asking about "manifolds". He said he removed the "EGR", but he's looking for threaded plugs. I probably should have just left this one alone.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well i have the edelbrock tes manifolds.... i mic'd the thread and came up with 7/8th and 18 threads per inch.... sound about right? i was even thinking of just cutting the plugs off and welding a small plate or even jb weld over the hold and reusing that.... im assuming the plugs are the same thread/size on the stock manifolds as they worked in the TES edelbrock headers that i have on there now... btw i did mix up the egr and air pump systems as i pulled them both out together that day sorry for the confusion injuneer*

oh hey also how do i add a pic to my sig... im not the most computer literate person lol

Comment

Working...
          X