No announcement yet.

Head Gasket Replacement Question . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket Replacement Question . . .

I'm just starting on my head gaskets . . . .

1) I have stock manifolds. Do I have to drop the exhaust pipes below the manifolds? Or, can I undo the exhaust manifold bolts at the head and slide the manifolds aside to remove the heads?

2) I'm getting the new bolts and a head gasket set - Can I get copper gaskets or something better so it will last longer? What brands do you recommend?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

I've always used Fel Pro gaskets. Have you thought about getting any head work done? If mine were bad I would have the heads ported. You can send them to my neighbor to do.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I'm going to have the heads worked while I got them off . . . .

Do I have to drop the exhaust pipes below the manifolds? Or, can I undo the exhaust manifold bolts at the head and slide the manifolds aside to remove the heads?
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
        I'm going to have the heads worked while I got them off . . . .

Do I have to drop the exhaust pipes below the manifolds? Or, can I undo the exhaust manifold bolts at the head and slide the manifolds aside to remove the heads?
        Hey Darrin, I just noticed you live in SA. What part of town? If you need any help man, feel free to give me a call. I'll PM you my cell number. We have a shop here in New Braunfels. Who did you plan on having do your heads?

Comment

I actually live in Converse off Hwy 78 & 1604.

I was planning to lug the heads to Moreno & Sons on the south side and have them inspect them for warping, cracks, etc. Then shave the heads, check the valves and clean them up a bit. Can your shop do them? Can you send me a message with the pricing and your location?

FastTA - thanks for offering your help on this one - you're awesome!

Oh . . . .and do I have to drop the exhaust below the manifolds or can I just undo the exhaust manifolds from the heads and scoot them aside??
          Darrin C

Comment

We have a fairly basic shop. We don't do headwork (leave that to the pros), but I am going to start making mild steel and moly cages for Hotrods and racecars. Mike Clark that owns So Tex Race Cars, over in Bracken, is about to do a 25.2 cage in a 2000 SS, and he is going to show me the ropes. A 25.2 cage is a work of art. I'll take you by there one day and show you his work. It is second to . He has mostly done foxbody cages in the past, but he wants to start doing f-bodies.

BTW, did you know that alot of f-bodies have been meeting over at Biff Buzbees over off Toepperwein Rd. and 35.

All of our local headwork and custom shortblock work, we usually have San Marcos machine shop do it. Lethal Motorsports is pretty good as well. We sometimes send stuff to Combination Motorsports for the LT1/LS1 stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
              Oh . . . .and do I have to drop the exhaust below the manifolds or can I just undo the exhaust manifolds from the heads and scoot them aside??
              If it were me, I'd drop the y-pipe first.

You could try removing the heads with the y-pipe in place, but I question how much wiggle room you will have to play with.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
              X