Opinions on this transmission article

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this transmission article

I found this "So you think you want a 6-speed" article in browsing for my next f-body. I have never heard anything like this before, although i have heard of the slave cylinders being a little weak but easily replaced with one off of an 01 or 02. does anyone else just think this is a scheme to make it easier to sell the easier to come by automatic cars? as this article is linked from a website that solely sells f-bodys. I have spoke with a group of f-body drivers here in my town about this and they have all said it isnt completely true and the prices they have listed are way out of line. but anyway please post your comments thanks Levi

"Each synchro costs $369.87" That's not right. A synchro for a T5 is about $20 each. Here are all 6 synchros for a T56 for $200. http://www.tennesseeauto.com/t56syrekit.html

He doesn't include the fun factor of a 6 speed. Not to mention the gas mileage.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by levig14
      does anyone else just think this is a scheme to make it easier to sell the easier to come by automatic cars? please post your comments thanks Levi
      Yep. They want to sell automatics because that's what 75% of the cars have.

The reason they find alot of 6 speeds with damage is because unlike and auto transmission, a manual can still usually be driven with a bad syncro or gear. There are other gears you can use to bypass the damage for a limited time. Heck, I drove a T-6 with no second gear for several months until I was able to do a swap.

Autos won't last forever either. I've yet to find a regular production one that will.

Average drivers will usually get worse times with a stick. A slick driver will usually get 2 mph and 2 tenths advantage over an automatic in a stock vs. stock comparison.

The entire article is worded to try and sell automatics. There are some points valid, but the way they word the entire page it is self-serving.

All that being said, I have both 6 speeds and automatics. I love automatics for drag racing, I love 6 speeds for a road course.

Comment

Working...
      X