Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud Resonating Catalytic Converter on beater...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Resonating Catalytic Converter on beater...

Hey everyone,
    My beater is giving me a headache. I have a loud sound coming from the catalytic converter. It sounds like echoing/resonating. The sound gets louder & more noticeable when the engine is under load, but it does make the sound all the time. I am assuming that the cat is hollowed out from the sound its making. It was making the same sound about a year ago so I put a cheap aftermarket cat on it and the sound stopped. But now the sound is back. Did I just buy time with the cheap catalytic converter or is something wrong with the engine that is causing my cats to go bad. I have another new cat sitting next to me that I am about to put on. This time I dropped $100 and got a catco direct replacement cat. I dont want this cat to go bad in a year as well.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

I discovered the cat on my V6 car was broken inside and rattling, so I gutted it.

The result was terrible. It sounded like a garbage truck, resonating very loudly. I scrapped the gutted cat and installed a Catco unit. It sounds like new now. I'm sure you will be happy after you change it.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

im not shure but mybe the air pump. I believe thats what makes my 2000 t/a hawl. It pumps air into the exhust to warm up the converters quicker and make them work better i believe, correct me if im wrong. Mybe your air pump isnt turning off, if you have one that is.
      2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

it could maybe be your oxygen sensors causing the rattling... i had a problem with my cats burning out too and it ended up being the MAF sensor was messed up and pumping through two much gas and burning them out...
        2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
        current mods.....
        3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
        1979 10th anniversary ta
        yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

Comment

Working...
        X