Spohn Tubular K-member for 4th Gens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spohn Tubular K-member for 4th Gens

The Spohn Tubluar K-member has been under development for at least a year, and indications are that it will be in the catalog in March. He's working out some details on the LT1 and LS1 motor mounts, but the main components are being produced now. If its anything like the other Spohn products (who knows? ) it will be the best thing available.

If you're in the market for a tubular front end, might be worth the wait.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Besides the lightness of one, are there any other advantages to one? I've been toying with the idea in my head for a while, but BMR was the place I could find one. Good to hear Spohn will be releasing one soon
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

access is much better
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Spohn makes some great stuff, I'm sure it will be good.

The real advantages are in the weight savings and clearance for headers, dry sump setups, and turbo setups. It also allows for an easier job if you decide to drop the motor from the bottom. If you tow your car back to the pits after a run, it also gives you a nice strap point.

The only real disadvantage, if you even want to call it that, is that most of the aftermarket tubular k-members do not have brake hardline mounts. Most guys just zip tie them anyway.

Maybe Spohn could be the first to incorporate some brake line mounts.

Comment

Since my engine is out I've been thinking this is a perfect time to put in a tubular K-member. Great, this just encouraged me to spend more money that I shouldn't!

Hmmm. I wonder if I should tell the wife to hold off on those plans for finishing the basement. Oh, this isn't going to be good....
          '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Hmmmmm, maybe I need to add another item to my chassis wish list lol
            Steve

Comment

Well, i figured I'd ask about it for you guys while I was over there at work todya and heres what he said:

They just need to get the motor mounts set and then it will be all set i think. They are sending one, probably to test, to get powder coated next week, so it should be out very very soon. Looked really good too.

And about what fastTA was saying, there will be brake line mounts on there, so i guess they will be the first do that one!! Sooo for all you guys wanting to upgrade it might be a good time to do so!! Just thought i'd let you guys know what i found out, but comparing it to the stock one next to it, the weight is definately a lot less for the tubular, but man, the extra room would be killer.
              -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Well, looks like I'll have to pick up one when I get the chance
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by thenuge876
                  Well, i figured I'd ask about it for you guys while I was over there at work todya and heres what he said:

They just need to get the motor mounts set and then it will be all set i think. They are sending one, probably to test, to get powder coated next week, so it should be out very very soon. Looked really good too.

And about what fastTA was saying, there will be brake line mounts on there, so i guess they will be the first do that one!! Sooo for all you guys wanting to upgrade it might be a good time to do so!! Just thought i'd let you guys know what i found out, but comparing it to the stock one next to it, the weight is definately a lot less for the tubular, but man, the extra room would be killer.
                  Are they going to offer the adjustable rod ends? Will it be available in Chrome-moly? Will they have drop racks and Pinto type racks available?

Comment

I know that it will be available in chrome-moly, and much of their stuff is available adjustable, so there is a possibility that it will be, and as far as the racks go, he didnt mention anything, but I didn't ask in too much detail. I go back on thursday so ill ask for you if you would like and i can let you know.
                    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

What about AS&M mid length header clearance?????
                      I LOVE COBRA'S -
                      THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Just out of curiosity but... would it be possible (if someone desired) to install an LS1 K-member into an LT1 F-body for use of the motor mounts without much fabricating?
                        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                          Just out of curiosity but... would it be possible (if someone desired) to install an LS1 K-member into an LT1 F-body for use of the motor mounts without much fabricating?
                          I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the K-member mounts to the car the same, its the motor mounts that are different. So, yes, you can actually bolt an LS1 K-member in without any fabrication or alteration for it to work...assuming you've got the motor and everything else ready to go of course lol
                          Steve

Comment

Thought I'd bump this one up to the top.....

-Spohn K-member should be available in 2 weeks.
                            -Available in mild steel or chrome moly
                            -Works with virtually any headers - no problems with AS&M's. It has the same "envelope" as the stock K-member.
                            -Incorporates all brake line mounting tbs.
                            -Larger tubing diameter than others available.
                            -Works with LT1 and LS1 motor mounts

I've seen the product and of the install, and its impressive.
                            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Any idea if they have future plans to make one for a gen 1 small block?
                              1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
                              1995 Silverado-beater truck
                              2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X