3rd gen wiring mess help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen wiring mess help

I want to say thanks for reading all this and helping out! So I am helping my friend with an 83 Z28 to work out all the seemingly small issues.

First we came across the first problem when trying to install a CD player where there was since he bought it. Wired it all up using Haynes manual wiring diagram and nothing. I whip out the voltometer and see that neither the constant power wire (yellow) or the ACC power (orange) are getting power across them. I check out the radio fuse, fine. The fuse that is connected to the orange wire is a 30A fuse that controls whether the interior lights come on, which has been blown since hes had the car and continuously blows immediately anytime its replaced. I came to the conclusion that they are connected because I can stick one lead in the fuse holder for that fuse and touch the orange wire and get a continuity signal, unless they are both grounded at that point for some reason?

I found a wire jammed in the ECM fuse and it leads to a wiring harness that is also tapped off the two brake signal wires and the other end connects to the turn signal lever in the steering column and also through the firewall to a box labeled only with a serial number and description for adjustment screws to include: low speed adj, sens adj and cent adj. It also says somethin about transmission selection. The box is mounted by the horn on the drivers side fender. Once on this side of the firewall wires split up and some disappear behind the engine. Also from this box comes a throttle cable going to the throttle body. It also reads "DANA Corp.", the only reference I can find to DANA and camaros is a dealership called DANA that made performance 1st gen camaros, somewhat comparable to what Shelby did to mustangs. By the box there is 2 plugs just laying there that trace back to under the steering column on the engine bay side of the firewall. One is just a ground wire, no idea what the other one is, any ideas?

It seems as though this box is something that is supposed to be there from the factory but the wiring is quite obviously aftermarket. This is the first time that I have worked on an older car so forgive my ignorance.

It all comes down to; any idea why this 30A fuse is blowing and why it controls the interior lights when the manual says its the ACC power wire? What is this seemingly OEM box that has quite obviously aftermarket wiring involved? what are the 2 plugs just hanging around supposed to be connected to?

Someone installed an aftermarket cruise control on the car.

That explains alot of the wires.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Yeah that does explain alot. Makes sense. Anyone able to diagnos the other issues?

Comment

u got a short to ground somewhere in the fused circuit, just trace the wires and look for a bare spot touching metal.
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I do understand how basic electronics works. I suppose I should have clarified, any common spots of problems? And why does the manual say that its ACC power but I get it to be on the same circuit as interior lighting?

I know the basic idea of why its blowing, I guess I was just asking where to start. It blows no matter what position the key is in. Like I said, the 30A fuse is on the circuit for the dome lights. Why am I getting continuity with the ACC wire? Would it be because possibly the dome lighting circuit is grounded out somewhere causing the fuse to blow and the same time being effectively on the same circuit (ground) as the ACC wire when the key is out (grounded). hmm....

but the only places that the wiring goes for the interior lighting is the only two lights by your feet on the drivers and passenger side right? Once they came on for a split second but the fuse blew again.

Comment

hook up a volt meter and see what voltage u get, if u want when im at skool, ill get the radio and interior light wiring diagrams from the true service manual.

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

i dont get any voltage if the fuse isnt there. and if you mean voltage across the fuse block for that circuit, what will that voltage mean?

Comment

let me get you the wiring diagram for that car(the factory GM one). that way we are on the same page

Comment

Working...
                X