Recommended Motor Oil????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Motor Oil????

I have been using Pennzoil now for a few years in all my vehicles and I'd like to keep all 3 using the same brand. What brand would you guys reccommend I use in 94 Camaro 175k miles, 03 Nissan Xterra 70k miles and a 97 Chevy Cav 100k miles? Is it safe to change brands of oil? Which oil is best for better gas mileage? I've read alot of people reccomending Mobil 1. Thanks for the help!

Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filters
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Are Mobil 1 Filters better than KN?

Comment

Mobil 1 and KN are both good, I've read that Mobil 1 isnt' as good as KN.

This guy did some good tests.
        http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Stay away from Fram. I run Mobil 1 5w30 in the Camaro, and a purolator oil filter. A lot of those oil filters are the same design, just different names and different price. I wouldn't use penzoil filters, according to the site above, it's a Fram. He also states a problem with Mobil 1 filters I believe.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Mobil1 and AC Delco Filters here

Definately stay away from Fram, I know a few board members having issues with them...Injuneer perhaps.

I have trouble dishing out 15 bucks for a K&N, but I use Mobil1 filter regularly...just been a buget lately and been picking up AC Delcos. I heard Purolators might have flow issues due to the number of filtering pleats...at least for the PureOne line.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
            Mobil1 and AC Delco Filters here

Definately stay away from Fram, I know a few board members having issues with them...Injuneer perhaps.

I have trouble dishing out 15 bucks for a K&N, but I use Mobil1 filter regularly...just been a buget lately and been picking up AC Delcos. I heard Purolators might have flow issues due to the number of filtering pleats...at least for the PureOne line.
            murrays and autzone... I paid 10.50 for my KN last oil change.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I have always used Mobil 1 5W-30 oil, and Fram filters never a problem. Its whats available, and its cheap.
              94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Seems like Mobil 1 oil it is then. Been using the KN filter I also hate to dish out that much for a filter, but if does a better job and keeps my oil/engine cleaner then what the heck, better to pay it out now then alot later. Any one know if there will be a problem switching oil brands? Had a s-10 that someone used q-state and then I used Pennzoil ended up blowing the gaskets....any way the mechanic said he could tell that someone used q-state oil due to the gunk and buildup.

Comment

Deutsch, Mobil-1, Bosch, Mopar, STP, AC Delco, and the Wal-Mart Super Tech filters are all made by Champion Labs Inc.

Consequently, Penzoil, Pennske, Castrol, and Quaker State filters are all made by Fram.

In my opinion the Bosch, Amsoil, Mobil-1, Wix(Napa Gold), and Purolator Pure One are the best filters. I like the Bosch the best.

Stay away from Penzoil and Quaker State oils. Penzoil owns Quaker State and they are both one of the worst oils you can put in a motor.

I had the oppurtunity to talk to the engine shop manager at Rousch, and I asked him which oil they liked best. He said they did some extensive testing on NASCAR and Indy motors and found that Mobil-1 oil coupled with Bosch filters was the best possible combination.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycooter
                    Any one know if there will be a problem switching oil brands? Had a s-10 that someone used q-state and then I used Pennzoil ended up blowing the gaskets....any way the mechanic said he could tell that someone used q-state oil due to the gunk and buildup.
                    Shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure it drains really well and you'll be golden.

Some people prefer to gradually introduce a new oil into the engine by adding 2 quarts of the new oil to 3 quarts of the former type, then doing 4 quarts to 1 on the next change. I think that's overkill, but there may or may not be something to it.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by crazycooter
                      Any one know if there will be a problem switching oil brands?
                      There are all kinds of schools of thought on this. Some are even very adament saying that once you go synthetic you cannot go back to conventional oil.

I have personally never seen any conclusive evidence that would suggest there could be the possibility of any internal damage resulting from changing oil brands and/or viscosities after the consistent use of one type/viscosity oil.

I think that everyone simply expects someone do their homework, choose a quality oil and filter in the first place, and stick with it.

Comment

which is best Mobil 1 5w -30 or
                        Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic
                        ?
                        93 t/a A4 3.23s
                        95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                        99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                        99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                        97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                        93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                        00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

For anyone interested in some data, you might want to go to the camaroz28.com site, and search for posts by "Patman" (or since he hasn't posted there for a while, search on "Castrol German"). He did a lot of testing in his LT1, and came to the conclusion, based on used oil analysis that the best results came from a German-made Castrol synthetic 0W-30. His analysis seemed to hinge on viscosity testing that showed that Mobil 1 "30" weight synthetics (5W-30, 10W-30) were on the "thin" side of the allowable viscosity range for 30-weight oils, while the Castrol was on the "thick" side of the same range. This seemed to correlate with the reduced metals present in the used Castrol oil.

Not sure how valid these results are, but at keast it represents an effort to actually measure oil performance, rather than rely on undocumented sources.
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

what about my combo, Mobil 1 and a WIX filter
                            1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Comment

I'm running Royal Purple 10w30 and a K&N filter, no problems. She picked up a step or two as well
                              Steve
                              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                              X