Jacking up LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacking up LT1

Does anyone know the best way to jack up the '97 Firebird's LT1?

I am trying to get the engine up high enough so that I can remove the oil pan and put in a new one.

I read somewhere about using a suitable jacking device to lift it up by the balancer, is that strong enought to support the weight of the engine? More importantly, how do you get to the balancer, which is ontop of the tie rod.

Thanks
    1997 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
    Black, stock

the best way to lift the engine is with a tradional lift. Never use anything to lift or jack on the balancer.

Comment

When I had to lift the motor in my V6 car a few inches to do new motor mounts I used a piece of wood and jack on the botom of the oil pan.

Sinse you need to remove the oil pan, that is not an option for you. I agree with Joe, you will need a traditional "cherry picker" to lift it. And to repeat Joes warning... do not jack the engine by the balancer. damage to the crank / bearings / balancer could result.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

They even make harmonic balancer/dampener adapters for screw stands to use to support the front of the motor when un-bolting the clamshells from the k-member stands, but I agree with the guys. I just don't like to place undue stress on the front of the crank and/or crank dampener.

If you have an automatic, you can lift the motor high enough to remove the oil pan. If you have a M6 car, you will need to unbolt the k-member and then lower it. Then you can lift the motor up and the pan will wiggle out.

Don't forget to drop the y-pipe and unbolt the starter first.

Comment

Working...
        X