how to tell if engine box is square

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to tell if engine box is square

well i finally got a wild hair and tore my third gen apart last night. and well it seems that there has been a factory fix. and i was wondering if anybody has some square messurments of the engine will. i messured from the front lip up by the windshield to the radiator support and got 40 inches on the drivers side and 41.5 inches of the passenger side and my cross messurements are 72 inches from the drivers firewall to the passenger side radiator and 73.5 on the other diagnal. and well it seems to be out of square. i noticed that the radiator mount is a little tweeked on the passenger side and dosent seem to be all that difficult to drill out the spot welds and replace it. i was just wanting to get some square messurments to get it in right. any advice would be nice. looking forward to getting her square so i can move on.

thanks guys.
    Richard

If you measure in the exact same spots on each side they should be equal. This is known as an X measurement (i know duh). It looks to me like it needs a slight pull and needs to 3/4'' over to make the measurement equal...
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

yeah i messured from the same spots on both sides and was thinking the same so my second question is can i take it to a frame shop and have them square it back up put in some supports so that i can remove the front mount and replace it.

Comment

A frame shop will have all the factory specs and will be able to tell you if it is out of whack. They should be able to pull it back into shape, if it is.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

It cost me $300 Canadain to have mine tweaked back it perfect.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror