Won't start VATS problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't start VATS problem?

My Z wouldn't start this morning. All accesories came on but it wouldn't even try to start. All the little lights came on Brake etc. and I noticed also the security light was flashing. This leads me to believe the VATS is acting up. I did a little research on here and found the table to the "Key Pellet Values" ( http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key ). I tested my Key and it reads just over 9000 on my analog multimeter gauge and 7600 on my digital multimeter so I guess it's the 14 or 13. I'm not sure wich one is right though . Someone wrote that the wires in the collumn can go bad and you either have to replace the lock cylender or do the VATS bypass. I want to do the bypass now since it's alot cheaper and easier to do than switching out the lock. I guess I can have radio shack verify which is the correct ohm reading. Do I sound like I'm on the right track here? Since I'm getting a reading on the key I don't think it has gone bad. What do they read when they're bad? I only have the one key so I can't try another one or anything. Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks, guys.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

It could also be that the pellet is dirty, or the contacts in the key cylinder are dirty. If the resistance valve changes too much due to dirt the system will think you are using the wrong key. Try cleaning both with alcohol and a Q-tip.

Measure the resistance with a digital multimeter, an analog isn't accurate enough.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Thanks I'll try that first.

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

the bypass is easy...30 minutes tops.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
          the bypass is easy...30 minutes tops.
          30!? I'd say 10! That is, if you know the value of the resistor that you need. Longer if you don't have the key! I just had to do a bypass on a '91 that we had no key for, takes a while 'cause you have to let it reset inbetween resistor values. Took 7 tries to find the correct resistance. (We did go to the dealer and get a key made, but the blank they used wouldn't even go in the key cylinder. They also insisted that the car didn't have VATS! )

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
          '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
          Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Thanks guys it worked like a charm! Shoe's pics really helped. Easiest thing I've done on my car yet. Later

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
              30!? I'd say 10! That is, if you know the value of the resistor that you need. Longer if you don't have the key! I just had to do a bypass on a '91 that we had no key for, takes a while 'cause you have to let it reset inbetween resistor values. Took 7 tries to find the correct resistance. (We did go to the dealer and get a key made, but the blank they used wouldn't even go in the key cylinder. They also insisted that the car didn't have VATS! )
              hahaha! I can do in 5 if I wanted.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
              X