recommended headers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommended headers?

Well, my exhaust manifold is leaking so that means I'm in the market for headers. I wanna do 1-5/8" primaries, and they need to be shorties or mids. Any suggestions? I won't pay $1000 for any JBA's or AS&M's either.
    Thanks!
    '95 Pontiac TA Arctic White T- tops
    18x9" SSR Integral wheels, 275/35/18 Pirellis, G2 Coil-Over kit with re-valved Bilsteins (1.5" drop front / 1.25" drop rear), Raptor 4L60E w/2800 stall, K&N FIPK, Trick Flow intake elbow, TB!, air foil, MSD plug wires, Power Programmer, Borla catback

Im happy with my ceramic coated bbk headers. They have good plug access, nice design, come with all hardware except you will have to buy better gaskets. Stock gaskets leak like he!!
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

I've had great results with the AS&M's, but I got them used for $175 . They replaced a set of JBA's that really wasn't really all that good, because of the small 1-5/8" primaries, with a stepped design that started at 1-1/2" at the head. The AS&M's are 1-3/4".

AS&M's don't cost $1,000..... they are $770 at T. Byrne Motorsport.

For low $$$$, lot's of people go with Pacesetters.

Often, you get what you pay for.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I like my RK-sport's which are AS&M rip off's. They are a major PITA to install but only cost $490 shipped with coating. Very noticable gains.
        1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
        Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
        Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

This is my first post so go easy on me. Happy to be here.

I purchased a set of Mac coated headers that came with the y pipe and cats. It was pretty exspensive though, like $800 shipped to my house. I had a shop install them for me and they went in pretty easy, I know they didn't jack the motor up or anything like that, they put them in from underneath.

I only picked up 12 rwhp but the torque curve went up like mount everest.

I just noticed you have a 95, not sure if they have Macs for that year or not.
          02 T/A, A4, lid, exhaust, 3.73s, suspension, MT DRs.

Dynojet 335/ 338 Mileage 30,000

Comment

I have MAC's. I'm very happy with them. Stay away from BBK. Whatever you decide, make sure you get them ceramic coated. Don't bother putting them in if they're not coating. Not an option, it's a must.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I have the Pacesetter longtubes and the quality is very good. They have really thick flanges and the tubing seems to be pretty heavy gauge. I got the coated headers with the emission's fittings. Install was a pain on the passenger side but my car has the wrong transmission in it so that led to a huge delay. At $375 for coated emission's headers they're a great buy. But you still need the y-pipe($129) and if you want to stay legal then you need dual cats. The stock gaskets and bolts are cheap and shouldn't be used so add the cost of good gaskets and header bolts. I went with O2 extensions so that's an added cost. I also went with stepped band clamps for another extra cost. So in the end I think total cost for

headers
              y-pipe
              O2 sims
              O2 extensions
              header gaskets
              heat wrap
              header bolts
              band clamps
              dual 3" cats

I'm probably into the project for $750-800. I love the headers and y-pipe, but I still have to re-bend some of the fuel and brake lines that come real close to the driver's side cat. You might want to go with mid-length headers to avoid some of the extra costs.
              69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
              70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
              2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Working...
              X