Rear brake caliper bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake caliper bolts

The shop manual suggests replacing the bolts that hold the rear brake calipers to the backing plate after removing the caliper. Is this required or is it just to cover GMs back side against law suits? Are these bolt torque to yield types? This is for a 96 T/A.

Thanks,
    Warren
    96 T/A,WS6,M6
    79 T/A,WS6,A3,403
    72 442,W30,A3
    06 Vette,Z51,M6

I had mine done under warranty.

While doing the bolt replacement, the dealer jacked the car on the fender flanges and busted all 4 fenders. The car spent 2 more weeks in the body shop.

Was it worth it?

Comment

I'm sure it's a CYA thing for GM. At the same time, I am also sure there are cars out there that may have had several brake replacements done without replacing the caliper bolts. It's a personal choice, but not replacing them may not have the dire consequences that you might expect. By the book, replace them. General practice, I doubt they often get replaced.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

If you buy GM OEM replacement pads you get new caliper bolts included as well as the slider shims.
        95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by 4THGEN Z
          If you buy GM OEM replacement pads you get new caliper bolts included as well as the slider shims.
          And that is exactly why I prefer to buy all my pads from GM. They always toss in the little extras.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
          X