"Flapping" Sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Flapping" Sound

I have recently begun hearing, under load in first or second gear only, a kind of "flapping" sound when accelerating (or when starting up a relatively steep grade from a dead stop.) It does not make the sound when there is no load on the engine--i.e., in neutral when I race the engine it does not make the 'flapping' sound (which tends to eliminate the possiblity of a bent rod, I think). It is not extremely loud, but loud enough that I know 'something' is not right.

I am suspecting that I have either a broken motor mount or broken tranny mount.

The ragtop recently turned 101,000 miles, so such a broken mount is in the realm of possibilities. But note--the car has virtually never been raced and I have owned it its entire life and kept it very well maintained.

Any thots from the tech gurus out there???
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
    ...I am suspecting that I have either a broken motor mount or broken tranny mount. ...Any thots from the tech gurus out there???
    That was going to be my guess.

Comment

Flapper

Well im no tech but, one way to find out, crall under with a pry bar and light -safty first
      JackZ28
      K & N CAI
      Kooks Header LT's
      Free Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust
      Y-Pipe
      Synthetic Fluids

Comment

I was also going to guess the trans mount to be the culprit......since you said that you only heard it when the drivetrain was under load.

Comment

that's what gave me the idea too. reminds me of years ago when I hada broken motor mount on my 59 Impala and the fan kept flapping against soemthing on teh radiator
          2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Working...
          X