Oil filler neck question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filler neck question

I will be changing the engine oil this week, and I noticed that my oil filler neck had quite a bit of condensation in it. There was no sludge or white mily stuff. Im going to change the PCV valve. However, the oil filler neck is stripped and doesnt get very tight on the valve cover. Could this be taking the vacuum away so the pcv cant release the vapors?? Thanks guys.
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

A new filler neck from the dealer is $8.00
    It also has a bead of RTV on it.
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Had the motor been warmed up when you saw the condensation inside the filler neck? Typically any condensation that is found in the crankcase and/or oil galley is from exhaust gas going by the rings. Water (H20) is a natural byproduct of the combustion of gasoline, but you shouldn't have condensation inside the oiling system.

It's possible that you also may have a head gasket leak.

There is a slight bit of positive pressure in a normally functioning crankcase, so if anything, the blowby gases would just exit through the filler neck if it is actually leaking. The PCV valve is opened by vacuum from the intake manifold, so the PCV valve would still be getting the same amount of given vacuum regardless of whether or not the filler neck was leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
        Had the motor been warmed up when you saw the condensation inside the filler neck?
        Nope, the car was sitting for two days before I checked it today. If it was the hea gasket wouldnt there be other symptoms? I highly doubt that its that, also the oil just looks like used oil.
        1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
          Nope, the car was sitting for two days before I checked it today. If it was the hea gasket wouldnt there be other symptoms? I highly doubt that its that, also the oil just looks like used oil.
          Depending on your local weather conditions and since your car was sitting for a few days, the condensation may not have originated from within the motor itself.

Some head gasket leaks are very minor and you wouldn't neccesarily notice it. It would not hurt to perform a coolant system pressure test.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            Depending on your local weather conditions and since your car was sitting for a few days, the condensation may not have originated from within the motor itself.

Some head gasket leaks are very minor and you wouldn't neccesarily notice it. It would not hurt to perform a coolant system pressure test.

Hmm, where can I get the pressure test done?

Comment

Working...
            X