Sports Cars on TV Taking Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Cars on TV Taking Off

When you watch a program on tv about sports cars they show the car taking off with its tires spinning laying down a nice layer of black rubber, and smoke. The car tires are spinning, but the car seems to grip, and take right off like a rocket. When I slam the gas my tires spin like crazy with absolutely no traction. Its, so bad I'm barely moving any. Is this just worn tires which mine are down to 1/32 of tread depth left. Very worn I know. In the tv show are they using really grippy tires? I'm confused what makes there tires on tv spin so much like mine, BUT take off at good speed, and lay down rubber. Is that what grippy tires like Geforce KDWS do spin, yet grip. can you clear this up. I'm very confused. I have absolutely no traction bottom line. (Kumho tires with tire pressure 29 rear/31 front, and this is with 2.73 gears with shift firmness from programming.)
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

my buddy was the same way. He would spin the tires forever and go nowhere. Then bought some new tires not all seasen ones, and still spins but takes off much quicker even though he is spining. You can make all the power in the world but when it comes down to it, the tire is what makes it any good. you get what you pay for. I had the kdws tires also when i first bought the car. Their cheap but ok. And yes i didnt hook for nothing also.
    2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

good tires = good traction.
      suspension work and good tires = as key for good 60ft times.
      ed
      1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

So whats a good tire? I can't even find Geforce KDWS (255-50-16) at TireRack, or Discount Tire anymore. Anyone know about Mirada Sport GTX by Yokohama? (Any good.) V rated tire.
        94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

A g-Force KDWS is an all season mud/snow tire. It isn't likely that its going to be a star when it comes to dry traction. Sports cars on a race track don't run snow tires. They run a shallow tread, soft rubber tire that is specifically designed for the type of race they are running.

The BFG's are graded by what they do best.... the g-Force Drag Radial is strictly a straight line traction tire, the g-Force KD is solely for dry traction, the KDW gives up a little dry traction for added wet tration, and the KDWS is a snow tire.

Go to Tire Rack and do a "tires by size" search for your 255/50-16. You will get 11 tires to choose from, and that excludes brands like Nitto, that Tire Rack doesn't sell. Those 11 tires range from "ultra high performance summer" to "high performance all season" to "competition" tires from Hoosier and BFG.
          Click on "test results" or "survey results" to see how the tires compare for dry traction, wet traction, noise, comfort, tread life, etc. Look for the best dry traction among "street" tires (you really don't want to run a "competition" tire on the street). You'll probably notice that the tires that rate best for "traction" often rate a bit lower for "tread wear".

After you find a "sticky" tire, you have to make sure your suspension plants it on the ground. The best thing you can do at the power levels you are at would be to upgrade to tubular lower control arms with either all polyurethane bushings (not great for cornering, but great for straight line), or a combo of poly on one end and rubber on the other (more compliance for cornering). Then throw in a pair of LCA relocation brackets, and I assure you the traction will increase dramatically.

The whole system has to work together.... the best tires in the world won't hook with a poor suspension.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

All I can find is Geforce Sport with the best traction # of a 9.0, but isn't that the older style tire to the Geforce KDW? Can't find Geforce KDW at Tire Rack. I heard it was better then the older style tire, so I would prefer it.

Comment

I don't think the g-Force Sport is an "old tire"..... its a brand new tread design, using the same "compound technology" as the g-Force KD. It an attempt to reduce the price of the KD technology for the smaller size tires used by the "sport compact" crowd.

You may be confusing it with the Radial T/A, which is "old tech".

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...og/index_2.jsp
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

First off, why do you want to run a 255/50/16? You really don't gain that much of a footprint, but your speedo is thrown off as well as your odometer. Plus, finding a 255/50/16 tire is not as easy as it used to be (I know since the 255/50/16 would be the stock-height rear tire for the GN). Stick with the 245/50/16, you'll have a much wider selection and the loss of traction will be negligible.

Second off, it is g-Force, not Geforce. Geforce is a graphics card line by nVidia, g-Force is the tire line from BFG. This is what Fred was hinting to.

Third off, running your tires at 1/32" tread depth is very, very, very dangerous. That is not a safe practice by any means.
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

If your car came with the "base" (non Z-rated) tires - 235/55-16 (26.1") - then a 255/50-16 (26.0") isn't a bad match as far as the speedo/odometer.

If the car left the factory with RPO "QLC" Z-rated tires at 245/50-16 (25.7") the speedo/odo error would be about 1.5%, reading 1mph lower than actual speed at 60mph.
                  Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    If your car came with the "base" (non Z-rated) tires - 235/55-16 (26.1") - then a 255/50-16 (26.0") isn't a bad match as far as the speedo/odometer.
                    That would explain why some F-bodies look to sit a little higher than others. Thanks Fred
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Thanks for setting him straight. My tire size was 235 from factory, got rid of those as soon as I got the car for 255's. Plus I have a programmer, so it doesn't matter anyways, but I don't need to use it with the 255's. Its also a better fit on the 8 in. rim.

Comment

Working...
                      X