Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help replacing outer window seal (driver side)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help replacing outer window seal (driver side)

First off, want to comfirm that part #10284223 is correct for a 97 formula driver door. Need to replace outer seal due to one of the clips being loose and am afraid will eventually break. How do I replace this piece without scratching the window or paint? Thanks.

Anybody do this before? I expect to pick up the new part later today and need to know how to remove the old one without scratching anything. Thanks.

Comment

I've done it a few times on Camaros.

You'll need to remove the door panel and the two felt covered window bumpers located at the top edge of the door. Also remove the mirror and the mirror support (that triangular part in the corner) Then put the window down and work the old seal out. Pull up and in. The hard part will be getting all the metal clips on the new one to grip correctly. Carefull not to bend them and make sure they go into their slots correctly. Push down and out to set them.

It may not be necessary to remove the mirror or mirror bracket on the bird. I've never done one of those, but I know the mirrors are different.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Ok, I got as far as removing the old seal. Now, I'm having trouble getting the new one on. It looks like all 6 clips are lined up properly but just won't snap into place. What's the trick? Thanks.

Comment

TraceZ, it's funny how you told me to not bend the clips. I actually had to bend them out a little to make them snap into place. They came way too tight which is why I had so much trouble with them. Thanks for all your help. The job is almost done, now I need to readjust the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffs Black 97 Formula A4
            TraceZ, it's funny how you told me to not bend the clips. I actually had to bend them out a little to make them snap into place. They came way too tight which is why I had so much trouble with them. Thanks for all your help. The job is almost done, now I need to readjust the window.
            Yeah, they have to be just perfect. Bend them too far and they wont work, I'm actually not surprised you had to tweak them to get them to go in right.

I'm glad I could help.
            Did you have to remove the mirror and mirror bracket?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Yep, had to remove the entire mirror assembly to make more room for me to work with the seal (I left the mirror on the triangle piece).

I just can't believe I have to readjust the glass. I guess the felt on my other seal has seen better days as the window is now too tight against the weatherstripping.

Comment

New seal seems tighter on glass?

Any reason my new seal seems tighter than my old one? Or is it due to the fact it's a new part that needs to settle in? It just seemed odd that I had to completely readjust the window because of the new seal. Thanks.

Comment

Not a surprise you had to readjust it. The new part is slightly different than the old one, right? The old one had 3 bumpers in it and the new one has one single continuous bumper.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

No, my 97 came with the updated seal that has one felt bumper all across. Would the new seal settle in and not be as tight eventually?

Comment

Try letting it sit for a few days and see if it sets in maybe??
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                      X