Third Gen drivers door problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third Gen drivers door problem

We got a '91 firebird a few weeks ago for Zack to drive (16). Both power windows were not working. After a little detective work I found that the harness to the passenger side switch had been cut by the parking brake lever.
    I cut out the damaged sections and soldered the wires back together, but the windows still did not work. Figuring the motors were both bad I pulled the door panel off the drivers door and found the harness was not plugged into the motor. Drivers window now worked! I had been totaly focused on the window motor when I took the panel off, so I was now looking at the rest of the door and saw this...
    WTH!!! Why would someone cut the door like this?! They didn't even run a full bead on the cuts, just spot welded the pieces back together! Only 2 of the welds are still holding. Should I even attempt to have this welded, or just bite it and find another door?

Looks like someone had taken the window track out at some point. The rivets are gone and there are bolts holding the motor instead. Also the glass was not secured to the carrier, I could just lift it right out of the door.

Aren't used cars fun?

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

u be better off gettin a used door for it, and why not just get manual locks and windows then the only motors to burn out is ur arm
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

What a flippin mess!!

Whoever is responsible for that should be hung by a tree and shot.

If the door looks like that, I'd really be afreaid to see the rest of the car. Did you look it over good before you purchased it?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
      X