Going after the leak this week!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going after the leak this week!

Im almost positive that this nasty exhaust leak is coming from the paper header gaskets that came with the BBk's. I just ordered Percys deadsoft aluminum gaskets and will be taking off each header bolt and switching the gaskets. Then I'm getting a sliced portion of the Y pipe welded because black soot forms around it.

Im sure that this has caused the engine to run rich and I heard that this really rich condition can cause a little bit of vapor to blow by the rings. I just need to fix this though. I just changed the PCV and it didnt smell like gas, nor did the oil filler neck.

I let this exhaust leak go to far, think this will be an easy swap for gaskets??
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Found the leak!!! It was on the pass. side header. Im positive this was making the ticking sound under acceleration and causing rich fuel ratio.

1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
      Found the leak!!! It was on the pass. side header. Im positive this was making the ticking sound under acceleration and causing rich fuel ratio.
      That would do it. It was a great day when I added Percy's gaskets.

Comment

Finished installing the gaskets. It was like doing the header install over again . I tightened all the bolts very tight then went out and took it for a ride. I still noticed the ticking sound under heavy acceleration, this time not from the engine bay but near the passenger side area and it was no where near as loud as it was with the leaky gaskets. When I started the car it had the check engine light, but then it went away as sson as I pulled out of the garage? Then whenver I came to a stop the RPMS would drop to about 700 and then climb back up. After 5 mins it stopped doing that. Was this because of the comp re learning everything?

Im convinced that I have to get that collector pipe welded together because that is where the leak has to be the worst. The pipe diameters are off and it has a band clamp on it.

Comment

Working...
        X