Piston/ Valve clearance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston/ Valve clearance

I want to use a bigger cam for my car, but I was told that I cannot go with a bigger lift because of contact betweeen piston and valve. Anybody know what would cause this? Cam specs: 224/230 .536 .544 112 with 1.6 RR.

Originally posted by 383Formula
    I want to use a bigger cam for my car, but I was told that I cannot go with a bigger lift because of contact betweeen piston and valve. Anybody know what would cause this? Cam specs: 224/230 .536 .544 112 with 1.6 RR.
    That cam you're listing isn't very big, but, in general-

The valve and the piston cannot occupy the same space at the same time without meshing on a molecular level. So, when you take her into hyper-drive and the rods are stretching out, the pistons are trying to fly off, and the valve springs are losing control, you need the extra clearance in there to prevent a collision. Whether or not you have the clearance in your 383 is anybody's guess. Not to mention that the rods might smack the new cam, too, if the lobes are sticking up high enough and the rod bolts are already at minimum clearance. Depends on a lot of stuff like your compression and cam base circle, how deep the valves are, head gasket, block deck height, head resurfacing, etc...

Comment

Working...
    X