Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optispark, wet roads and puddles...Smoking gun found.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optispark, wet roads and puddles...Smoking gun found.

First thanks to all who have posted regarding this problem. I have started this new thread to address the actual problem.

Again, when I drove through heavy rain last night and hit puddles the engine missed and stumbled to the point it was nearly undriveable. The opti was the first suspect, however the opti appears to be working fine. I am now convinced that this would have happened in any rainy conditions.

I drove the vehicle up on ramps to clearly see the entire ignition system.

I sprayed water on the coil wire where it plugs into the opti and saw sparks at the neck of the boot jumping to the water pump. The clicking of the sparks could also be heard. I removed the wire and the connector came uncrimped, I repaired the connection and plugged it back up, repeated the water test and this problem was gone.

Next I sprayed water on the driver side of the opti where the 4 wires connect and saw at least four sparks jumping to various places, at this point the engine started to stumble and miss just like last night. Most of the sparks originated from the necks of the boots to somthing metal close by. One wire had a spark coming right out of the side of the wire insulation and was going to the AIR pump.

The problem is clearly the OVC Elite spark plug wires. When they were getting wet they were arching to ground. Again I do not suspect anything to be wrong with the opti. I stuck some rubber garden hose up on the top boot to insulate it from the AIR pump and moved the other wires and repeated the water test. Right now it appears much better and was not bogging down, however the real test will be in the rain.

What is the solution to the plug wire problem, are these crappy wires that I have bought? Are there better OVC wires that dont have this problem. Is there special tricks to routing the wires?

I cant reach elite spark plugs, they wont answer the phone.

Thanks all
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

A better grade silicone boot probably won't do that. Assemble them with dialectric grease in the boots at the plug and distributor end and next time you go mud-bogging, spray the whole mess with WD-40 first.

Comment

You may have some kind of cracked housing as well. You should inspect them carefully since any kind of rocks and road hazzards could jump up and hit them from underneath.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2317021/1

2001 Blk Firbird Formula 6 sp hurst shift (my toy) Upgrades: American thunder Flowmasters, Cross drilled rotors, Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel. Car is in Bodyshop for full painting now with Ram Air, Rims, and wing being installed.
      2006 Blk Cobalt SS (my commuter car)
      2003 Harley 1200 sportster 100th anniversary (For sale)
      2007 Jeep compass

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
        ...and next time you go mud-bogging, spray the whole mess with WD-40 first.
        Yeah, get a higher lift...wait, why are you mud-bogging again?!?! lol j/k

Good to hear its not the Opti. How big are the wires? You could always just pick up a bulk of plug wire from MSD or someone else and cut/crimp them yourself. Just a thought
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

has any one made a splash shield to try and protect the opti if so i would buy one after my opti cost me over $1700 in parts and labour
          http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
          C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
          mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

I have never seen a shield. I am going to ecase the wires right where they enter the boots with rubber tubing and heat shrink tubing. I am confident this will work right down on the opti.
            1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
            Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
            Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Great to hear you found the problem. Even better to hear it wasnt the opti. I hate plug wires... They give me more problems than anything else on my car.

And I still think you should sell me your wheels. haha
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
              X