Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS6 vs. Z28

Who would be quicker?

Stock 2001 WS6 conv. M6 vs. 1994 Z28 A4 w/ magnaflow catback, edelbrock shorties & y-pipe, holly 52 mm tb, power programmer, k&n CAI, thermostat, msd wiring

I would still give the edge to the WS6, but not by much.
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

I Agree with ya there

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
      2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Welcome to the boards.

Is this question regarding the WS6 and Z28 in your sig?

If that's the case, the edge would have to go to the '94 Z, especially considering the extra weight the 'vert is carrying.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

It's going to be a driver's race.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
            Welcome to the boards.

Is this question regarding the WS6 and Z28 in your sig?

If that's the case, the edge would have to go to the '94 Z, especially considering the extra weight the 'vert is carrying.
            The vert weighs just under 100# more. I also saves nearly that by having the aluminum LS1.

The weight is a wash.
            1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
            Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
            Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

the only mods to the Z are:

magnaflow catback
              edelbrock shorties & y-pipe
              holly 52 mm tb
              power programmer
              k&n CAI
              thermostat
              msd wiring

The tires are also brand new so it should hook up pretty good

Comment

Id have to agree with everyone here, that while the LS1 is quicker the z with those mods can probably give a pretty good showing, and norm is right the driver would make a big difference here.
                -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Yeah I that's what I figured. My buddy with the TA has been talkin a lot of smack lately so I figured I'd get an idea before we went at it.

Oh yeah, what do you guys think my next mod should be?

Comment

3.73's in the rear would be a good mod too especially if you have the rear that was stock with 2.73's. Suspension upgrades (lower control arms and panhard bar etc.) would also help. 1.6 RR's, maybe a small shot of nitrous and then when you really want to dig into it do the heads and cam.
                    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Comment

What sort of gains in the quarter do you think I could expect if I changed over to the 3.73s. And yes, I do have the 2.73s right now.

Comment

i dropped .5 when i went from 3.08 to a 3.42s. also since tis a auto see bout a shift kit and a stall convertor
                        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

yeeah i forgot about the converter too, shift kits are defnately a plus especially for the drag racing.

EDIT** I forgot to add before too, that with the 2.73s you have to get the gears for the 2 series carrier, it's thicker i think, so if you are going to purchase them make sure they are for the right carrier.
                          -Dan

Comment

I'll say that it depends on the driver of the WS6. The '94 Z28 would be cake to launch given that it's an auto w/ 2.73 gears. So it'd probably be out in front off the bat, but the WS6 would surely catch it.

I had a car like yours with similar mods. The throttle body won't help much, but the rest of it's good. I went with Strange 3.42's on my '96 since it was a daily driver. The difference between a 3.42 and 3.73 is negligable. Strange sells gears that'll work with a series II carier. They do make a big difference. The rpm's will also be much higher than your used to on the highway. The noise level will be up quite a bit and your milage will drop by a fair amount. It's all about what you're willing to live with. They do make the car quite a bit more fun!

You'd stand a better chance with new gears, but I'd still be willing to bet the LS1 would catch you. It doesn't feel like it has as much grunt off the line, but it just keeps pulling where as the LT1 starts to run out of breath in higher rpms.

In the end though, don't get so stuck on which car is faster. I love my LS1 but in some ways I do miss the LT1. It's a very fun engine in it's own right, especially in the stop light arena.
                            Joe K.
                            '11 BMW 328i
                            '10 Matrix S AWD
                            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Impossible to predict with accuracy. It all comes down to production tolerances, weight, equipment and driver skill. Some cars are just quicker than others. I think I drove at least a dozen different new LT-1 cars before I chose my 97 WS6. That was the strongest runner out of all of them and it was an automatic. So ya never know what you get until you drive it.

Comment

Working...
                              X