Autometer water temp gauge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autometer water temp gauge

Anyone know where this thing taps in? I know where to take the power and ground leads but where does the sending unit go? Can I tap into the stock harness somehow? The instructions are a joke.
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

You have to mount the sensing unit in an existing hole in the engine, or in one of the coolant hoses. You can't tap into the existing circuit. The sensor is a resistance device (thermistor), and you can't run parallel devices off a resistance device..... it alters the readings.

On my LT1, I have an extra temp sensor mounted in one of the smaller coolant lines, using a brass "tee". Not sure where you would pick it up on the LS1.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You can use the pipe thread auxillary hole right above the starter. I also helped a guy drill and tap a port straight off the water neck before. Obviously that requires more work however.

Comment

How much coolant am I going to have to deal with in that location? Ids it necessary to drain the coolant? I am thinking it is a closed system so it should not come gushing out but I just need to know how much to prepare for!
        Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
          How much coolant am I going to have to deal with in that location? Ids it necessary to drain the coolant? I am thinking it is a closed system so it should not come gushing out but I just need to know how much to prepare for!
          Quite a bit if I remember correctly. If you feel up to it, there is also another plug located in the passenger side head just under the #8 spark plug. Either way, you are going to need an NPT (pipe thread) adapter and they are usually very thin so just be careful when you are tightening everything. I always tighten the sending units securely into the adapters first, and then screw in the adapter to the block or head.

Comment

Is this the correct adapter for the plug behind the starter?

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=58

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
              Is this the correct adapter for the plug behind the starter?

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=58
              That's the one for above the starter, yes.

Comment

Sweet - thanks for your help man.

Comment

Working...
                X