car is backfiring! why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car is backfiring! why?

okay this one has me stumped... since i started driving my car again after the winter snow, it would backfire when i stomp on the gas, you know, to exercise my car, get it back into shape...lol :-P well it seems to be backfiring at about 5800 rpm give or take...why is this..i have my rev limiter set to about 6200 or close to that by the hypertech.. could it be carbon built up? i dont know what it is and it is bothering me..

Jeff
    -Jeff

Backfire is usually caused by unburned fuel suddenly igniting in the exhaust system. This can be caused by an exhaust valve hanging open, ignition breakup that causes excess fuel to end up in the exhaust that gets lit by another cylinder's combustion event, crossfire of the ignition voltage to ajoining wires to name a few.

Comment

Well being this never happened before...is their anything i can do to fix this problem?

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Backfire is usually caused by unburned fuel suddenly igniting in the exhaust system. This can be caused by an exhaust valve hanging open, ignition breakup that causes excess fuel to end up in the exhaust that gets lit by another cylinder's combustion event, crossfire of the ignition voltage to ajoining wires to name a few.
      -Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by 94formulaLT1
        Well being this never happened before...is their anything i can do to fix this problem?
        Sure. Without being a wise @ss, fix the cause. Get the car on a scanner and read what the computer sees. It may be time for plugs and wires, the optispark distributer might be going south, etc. Go to the auto parts store and buy a Haynes manual. It will be valuable.

Comment

lol your not at all a wise @$$, monday i am going to my auto tech class and going to run an engine scan. The optispark could be the problem, i replaced the plugs last year with AC Delco, i did not change the wires, i do not know why so its one of those things. I am getting ready to build my engine and i was looking at msd optispark distributors. 130 bucks on ebay, nice price. but yeah its annoying but i will figure it out. Thanks for your help, i would have never guessed the opti until you said something.

Jeff

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Sure. Without being a wise @ss, fix the cause. Get the car on a scanner and read what the computer sees. It may be time for plugs and wires, the optispark distributer might be going south, etc. Go to the auto parts store and buy a Haynes manual. It will be valuable.
          -Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X