Shocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks

Hey guys I have a 96 Camaro RS with a 3.8. I am wanting to know what are good shocks to replace mine for a reasonable price.

3.8 or not...reasonable to me would be Bilstein. Great shocks without going too deep in the pockets.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Are you talking about the BilStein Shocks that are on SLP's website?

Comment

Also using the Bilstein Shocks will i be able to see a handling improvement?

Comment

Choppers:
          The SLP Bilsteins are softer than the originals Heavy Duty Bilsteins...so, depends on your confort/handling preferences...I would recommed to you the Heavy Duty ones.
          Sam Strano is a reputable & reliable suspension expert....he sells the Bilsteins (among other brands) normal or re-valved (like the SLP's) specially for his own specs.
          http://www.stranoparts.com/product_l...ory=Suspension

Click on the board forum and you make the questions, he answer you....

Regards
          Dochidalgo
          97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

dochidalgo is right about SLP's version being a little softer. I wouldn't know if there is a noticable difference, but I'm running heavy duty.

If you're running stock springs, Bilsteins will definately compliment them well and yes, you'll notice a vast imporvment in the handling dept. I suggest a strut tower brace while you're at it...BMR, priced low and effective.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

So what you guys are saying is that you guys are running the BilStein Heavy Duties? If so how much did you'll pay? And where did you order them from?

Comment

"And the Strut Tower Brace" what does this do and how much does it cost and where do you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Choppers
                  "And the Strut Tower Brace" what does this do and how much does it cost and where do you get it?
                  FYI on the 93-02 F-body it is a "shock tower brace" not a "strut tower brace". 93-02 don't have struts. They have shocks. Just a little pet peave of mine.
                  http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...hocktowerbrace
                  http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1165
                  http://www.stealthperf.com/cgi-bin/s...ml?id=kx5IhtZP
                  http://www.lmperformance.com/c/4/2.html

The one product of BMRs that I don't like is the shock tower brace. It's very hard to get to the inner nuts to mount it. The passenger side is directly under the A/C line. Both are under the bar. All of the solid bars are that way. The only one that is a good design in my opinion is the Hotchkis. You can mount the mounts then put the bar on. You can also easily remove the bar to work on the engine. The only reason I have the BMR is a bought a package set and basically it was free.

Don't you love it. Hotchkis calls it a "strut bar".
                  http://www.hotchkis.net/cgi-bin/EDCs...catalogno=2003
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Could I use the Hotchkis One since I don't have a LT1?

Comment

Could I use the Hotchkis One since I don't have a LT1?
                      I'm not sure. I can't think why not. But I can't help but think that you could spend your money in a better way. The first thing you need to ask yourself is what you want to accomplish and how much is your budget. Something to consider, you are starting with a 6 cylinder and you might after a while be left wanting a V8. You are not going to get but about $.25 on the dollar on your mods that you put in your car then you get a V8 and want to buy it all again.
                      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                        FYI on the 93-02 F-body it is a "shock tower brace" not a "strut tower brace". 93-02 don't have struts. They have shocks. Just a little pet peave of mine.
                        Diddly noted...

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Well how hard is it to change the front shocks. The rear are easy but i don't know about the front. And can someone send me a link to the BilStein Shocks that you'll used and tell me how you guys like them?

Comment

Well how hard is it to change the front shocks. The rear are easy but i don't know about the front. And can someone send me a link to the BilStein Shocks that you'll used and tell me how you guys like them?
                            Here is Injuneer's write up on changing the shocks. http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/HALEibch.htm
                            Removal is the same no matter what shock you use. He installs HAL shocks which is a little different than regular shocks. For you just assembly in reverse order.

I can't stress how bad it is when he says the shock nut is rusted. You will need something like an impact wrench to get that nut off.

Comment

I live in Florida and I have inspected the back already and it's not rusted "YET" that is. SO hopefully the Front isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X