vette vs. f-body lt1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vette vs. f-body lt1

So i've been reading up on the LT1's and noticed that the corvette had 330 hp/tq. While the f-body's only had 275hp/325 tq. What's different about the corvette lt1 that gives it the extra power. It isn't just a GM rating is it?
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

I thought the vette was 300? The LT4 vette was 330?

I'd say it was just some differences in intake and exhaust plumbing. That and the fact the vatte had to be rated above the f-body for sales reasons.

Edit: I just looked up the numbers and I am correct.. LT1=300HP LT4=330HP
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The engine HP ratings are flywheel HP, based on the SAE "net" rating method. The manufacturer conducts the tests according to the SAE standards, and puts that value (or less, if he chooses) in the sales literature for that vehicle.

The SAE rating method requires that the engine be tested on an engine dyno, equipped with all the standard accessories, intake and exhaust systems that will be used in the car. Hence, the shorter air intake duct and true dual exhaust of the Corvette will provide more HP for the identical engine, when compared to the F-Body configuration. And as noted above, GM can't "overstate" the HP, but they can "understate" it, to keep some perceived difference between the Corvette and the F-Body.

The 330HP LT4 was a much different engine.... higher compression ration, better heads, 1.6X full roller rockers, larger injectors, etc.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
        I thought the vette was 300? The LT4 vette was 330?

I'd say it was just some differences in intake and exhaust plumbing. That and the fact the vatte had to be rated above the f-body for sales reasons.

Edit: I just looked up the numbers and I am correct.. LT1=300HP LT4=330HP
        Sorry about that, I knew that but i guess my fingers didn't It was late when i was typing that, lol. So do you guys know what the f-body dyno's at stock? Or maybe the vette?
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Working...
        X