What wire gauge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wire gauge?

So i was getting the car ready for driving and i noticed that my passanger side header melted part of the wiring harness. so im planning on extending that section about a foot or so, keeping it away from the heat. Any one know what gauge wire i need for the harness ??? and i know soldering is the best way to do it but are crimp connectors good enough ??
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

Originally posted by 95z28
    So i was getting the car ready for driving and i noticed that my passanger side header melted part of the wiring harness. so im planning on extending that section about a foot or so, keeping it away from the heat. Any one know what gauge wire i need for the harness ??? and i know soldering is the best way to do it but are crimp connectors good enough ??

I can't say what gauge it is for sure, but I would definitely not recommend crimp connectors. Solder them and cover them with shrink tubing.

I would recommend going to a self service salvage yard with a wire cutters and helping youself to some big chunks of harness from some gutted GM cars. That way you'll have different gauges and colors to choose from and make the closest match to what the factory used.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I like Tracy's idea of getting a section from a donor car. Keep it as close to factory as possible. I would for sure solder the connections and use some heat shrink tubing then wrap those is electrical tape.

What section of the harness are you planning on splicing? Because some of the powertrain sensors are very sensitive to any inline resistance changes.

Comment

Its the portion on the passanger side that goes straight down ( i think its the pass 02 sensor and a bunch of other stuff ) its about an inch and a half in diameter.
        -Nick-
        95 A4 Z28

Comment

Working...
        X