Water Neck Bolt Torque?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Neck Bolt Torque?

I was getting ready to get my 97 Firebird running again, and was following Chilton's service manual to bolt down the water neck. Chilton said to torque the bolts to 21 foot-pounds. I thought that was a lot of torque for those two little bolts, and sure enough, one head snapped right off.

Does anyone know the correct torque for the two bolts holding the water neck onto the water pump?

Thanks
    1997 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6
    Black, stock

Originally posted by rhummer37
    I was getting ready to get my 97 Firebird running again, and was following Chilton's service manual to bolt down the water neck. Chilton said to torque the bolts to 21 foot-pounds. I thought that was a lot of torque for those two little bolts, and sure enough, one head snapped right off.
    Does anyone know the correct torque for the two bolts holding the water neck onto the water pump?

Thanks
    That's what you get for following the instructions That torque spec causes a lot of guys to break off the little bolts. Go to the hardware store, get some better grade bolts and tighten them snug and that's good enough.

Comment

The torque specs for water neck bolts is.......SNUG.

Torque specs are specified for a perfectly clean bolt and thread with lube. With grungy greasy dirt on the bolt thread and without lube, you can double the actual torque being applied than what is measured.

Comment

89 lb. in.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X