Backfiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backfiring

I have a 1986 V-6 Firebird. When in first or second gear (rpm's above 2500) it backfires.It sounds like the backfiring is coming from the throttle body area (if that is possible) I've also noticed that it tries to stall at a complete stop, and has a very serious loss of power while driving. I mean my girlfriends Cavalier beat me off the line and she has a 4 cylinder

ANY Ideas or thoughts would be helpful. I am planning on getting a 350 for it but right now it is my only means of transportation.

Thanks
    Tom

How many miles since a tune up? Often spark plug and wire degredation leads to reduce performance and sometimes backfires as well. Start with basics like ignition componants......I might suggest a Haynes Manual from the local auto parts store. They are year and model specific and will help you diagnose problems like this.

Comment

I have done the basics. I changed the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, air filter and wires.
      I haven't changed the coil yet though. All vacuum lines look fine and I don't hear any leaks.
      Although it does sound like a lifter is "ticking". Would this cause backfiring?

The stupid manual just says worn or loose vacuum lines, worn sparkplugs, improper idle adjustment (although it is a fuel injected) and Timing is off.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X