list all power drians here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• list all power drians here

my 82 trans am has a power drain. if it gets parked friday and isnt started monday mourning, IT WONT START! the battery only holds the charge for about 2 and a half days. battery has been replaced. alternator is fine.
    when last checked there was no drain on the battery, but i know better!
    1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
    V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
    previous owners abused it!!!

Check you door jams.. If the little buttons that shut off your interior lights are not fully seating it leaves it on draining power. Old cars like that are notorious for it. Just check all your accessories make sure there all going off.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2317021/1

2001 Blk Firbird Formula 6 sp hurst shift (my toy) Upgrades: American thunder Flowmasters, Cross drilled rotors, Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel. Car is in Bodyshop for full painting now with Ram Air, Rims, and wing being installed.
    2006 Blk Cobalt SS (my commuter car)
    2003 Harley 1200 sportster 100th anniversary (For sale)
    2007 Jeep compass

Comment

closing the door does turn off the lights. the one that would turn off was the center compartment. the pressure switch wouldnt work right. so i removed the bulb.
      1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Glove box light?
        1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
        1 of 463
        LT4 knock module
        D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
        strut tower brace
        SLP fan switch
        160* t/stat
        Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
        DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by BadWS6
          Glove box light?
          the compartment in the center console for the third generation f-body is the glove box.
          1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

See if the fuel pump is running all the time. If the fuel pump engine oil pressure switch is bad (stuck closed) the pump can run all the time, even with the key off.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
            '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
            Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
              See if the fuel pump is running all the time. If the fuel pump engine oil pressure switch is bad (stuck closed) the pump can run all the time, even with the key off.
              would a mechanical fuel pump do that?
              1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_82
                LOL no. Guess that rules that out huh!

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

even I am have to laugh at that one lol

2001 Blk Firbird Formula 6 sp hurst shift (my toy) Upgrades: American thunder Flowmasters, Cross drilled rotors, Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel. Car is in Bodyshop for full painting now with Ram Air, Rims, and wing being installed.
                  2007 Jeep compass

Comment

You got an underhood light? or a hatch light?

Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
                      You got an underhood light? or a hatch light?
                      u didnt know it wasnt elec. also, yes i have a hatchlight. but it burned out long ago and i havent replaced it yet.
                      1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

hey you got to understand that cars have come a long way in recent years. Only after 88 was fuel injection standard on all vehicles. My 87 TA and Monte SS both still had caburators and mechanical fuel pumps. Big pains in the butt they were since everytime they go bad it would fill your oil pan up full of fuel.

2007 Jeep compass

Comment

Well, Kryptonite has always been a big one around here, but then I happen to live in Smallville

Comment

i doubt u have a electric hatch pull down. my guess would to be to get a DVOM, hook it up to the battery and pull one fuse at a time, this is a quick way to find the circuit causing the drain.
                            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_82
                              LOL, a lobe on the camshaft is what operates a mechanical fuel pump.

Do you have an old alarm installed on the car that may be cycling? Radio, miscellaneous light, it's even possible you could have a minor short somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X