rear rim and tire size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear rim and tire size

Hi,I'm looking into buying a set of weld draglites for my 93 z28.The question is how wide of a rim can i fit and what tire size.I was going to use 15'' rims.I don't want to small of a diameter with to much of a gap between the wheel well but also don't want the rear of the car sitting to high.Some pictures of members cars with this combo would be nice also.I'm going with the skinny tires up front.Thanks for any help Lew.

i love the way joe 1320 ta looks.
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

You can fit a 15x8 w/ 5.5" backspace, or a 15x10 w/ 7.5" backspace. Whichever width you choose, you have to grind the fins off the brake calipers. I have a detailed writeup on the "Wheels & Tires" forum at CamaroZ28.com. Its in the FAQ "stickied" at the top of the page.

Do you want drag tires or street tires? I run 28" slicks on my Pro-Stars, and there's not much in the way of a "gap"....

For a street tire, if you start going above the stock tire diameter (25.7" or 26.1" depending on the stock tires that came on the car) you get into problems with the speedometer (a little more difficult to correct on a 93) and you need higher numerical gears to offset the larger tire diameter.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the compliments!

I use what Fred already mentioned, 15x10 rears with a 7.5 inch backspace. For a street tire, I use a regular 295/50/15 radial which is 27" tall. For the fronts I use 15x3.5 with 165/15s.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.Man that 97 t/a is bad looking.I just sold my 96ss looking a your 97 makes me miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by 93/96 f-body
            Thanks for the info guys.Man that 97 t/a is bad looking.I just sold my 96ss looking a your 97 makes me miss her.
            I just swapped the Prostars over to the Black Z28 this morning. I should take a few pics.

Comment

Fred hope you see this reply.My speedo is already off since someone has installed 373 gears.I don't have the car on the road yet but will in the next week or so.It still has the stock tires.How will this new tire set up affect performance?I'm going with the 15x10 with a 295.How hard is it to fix the speedo?

Comment

Yeah i'd like to see what it looks like.I was thinking of installing a cowl hood and 1998 and up ss rear spoiler also.I'm torn between the star and the draglites.I had crome zr1 rims on the 96.Which i loved but don't want to build a twin.

Comment

Originally posted by 93/96 f-body
                  I'm going with the 15x10 with a 295.
                  I hope you realize that a regular radial isn't going to hook.

Comment

The 295/50-15's will make your 3.73 gears fells like 3.59's (if there was such a gear).

I think in the 93's there is a gear in the VSS that needs to be changed.... but I'm not sure. Someone who's done it on a 93 needs to comment.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I have to check into the ratio because the guy i bought from bought it with the gears already changed and wasn't exactly sure but when i ran some ratios by him he jumped @ the 373 ratio.I had 3:42 gears in the 96 and these feel competely different.The 93 in a higher gear feels like the next lowest on the 96.Joe i will run a et street or something along those lines for traction.Thanks guys for the feed back

Comment

Working...
                      X