looks like it is time for a conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks like it is time for a conversion

Last night the tranny or the rear locked up in my A4 Z28. and now the car isnt running. first It through a bunch of codes for the low trac and the abs inop. Then the Tranny started laboring very hard and spewwing tranny fluid. So I parked in a parking lot and desided to try and back back out of the spot. Well, reverse was gone. won't even roll backwards in neutral. So now, $225 dollar tow bill later...... it is time for a 6spd conversion. Doesn't look to bad to do price and laborwise.
    http://www.stealthperf.com
    http://www.projectgangreen.com

i was looking into a 6sp conversion too but then i thought i like my auto. soon enough i am going to be putting a racing transmission. i might just keep my auto. plus that conversion is more than you think...you have to get all of the brackets and cables for the clutch and crap..not something i would want to tackle. but thats just me.

Originally posted by gangreen
    Last night the tranny or the rear locked up in my A4 Z28. and now the car isnt running. first It through a bunch of codes for the low trac and the abs inop. Then the Tranny started laboring very hard and spewwing tranny fluid. So I parked in a parking lot and desided to try and back back out of the spot. Well, reverse was gone. won't even roll backwards in neutral. So now, $225 dollar tow bill later...... it is time for a 6spd conversion. Doesn't look to bad to do price and laborwise.
    -Jeff

Comment

i did the conversion... its not thats bad. 3 days... worth every hour

Comment

The hardest part is getting all of the parts.

But it sounds to me like your problem is just the rear end not the tranny.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

You are going to love your new 6 speed.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
            You are going to love your new 6 speed.
            yeah, I got an auto because it is just easier on the track to launch and stuff. I have installed lots and lots of clutches for other people. guess it is time to cross over and do it for myself.

Yeah i figure it prolly is the clutches in the differential or something. But what bothers me is that since it spewwed tranny fluid damage may have occured to it and the fact that when it started happening the tranny was acting like it was barely in gear. It was rebuilt by Chesapeake trans in Glen Burnie. They did a full comp rebuild. and i have a 2800 stall converter. Haven't had the heart or the time to go out and look at it yet. .

Comment

I think it's probably the rear end. It sounds like a bearing is locking up. Probably the pinion bering but it could be a carrier bearing. Think about it. If it is, you will have a hard time roiling the car which you said you did. And if it is, it's going to be harder for the engine to move the car too. With an automatic the engine will rev until the torque converter starts engaging. But the rear end doesn't want to turn so you give it more gas. What do you think is going to give here? The torque converter is trying to lock up but it's slipping under the load. This creates heat and a lot of it. When the fluid heats it expands. Where is it going to go? Out the dipstick hole is the only place.

The first thing you should do is fix the rear end. Then see what the condition of the tranny is. It might be OK.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

jeff has a very good point, this hapened to a buddy of mine in his 79 camaro and his tranny was fine all he had to do was rebuild the rear and while he was in their he put in some 3:73's , so id vote for messing with the rear 1st then go from their.
                1967 Camaro "Project"
                1972 Chevelle "454"
                1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Jack up the rear end supporting the underside of the differential. Unbolt the driveshaft from the pinion yoke. Now you'll find out which is locked up.....the trans or the rear end.

How much trans fluid came out? Did it come out through the case breather or through one the front pump or converter seals?

If you don't have reverse or 2nd or OD(4th), it could be that you broke the sun gear and locked up the front planetary set.

What codes are present?

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                    Jack up the rear end supporting the underside of the differential. Unbolt the driveshaft from the pinion yoke. Now you'll find out which is locked up.....the trans or the rear end.

How much trans fluid came out? Did it come out through the case breather or through one the front pump or converter seals?

If you don't have reverse or 2nd or OD(4th), it could be that you broke the sun gear and locked up the front planetary set.

What codes are present?
                    Yep, that was gonna be the next step. Time would be nice. Anyway, thanx for all the educated conclutions. I figued it to be the rear as soon as i had a chance to think about it. However the loss of fluid, etc.......... I will let you guys know what the diagnoses is when i know. Good thing i am good at working on F-bodies (see link below)

Comment

Working...
                    X