4L60E question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4L60E question

ok, I could be getting a '94 Caprice cop car with a LT1 and a 4L60E that is bad. I have a 4l60E I got given to me from a friend that supposedly works great just the junkyard gave an extra to him and its just a long story. Anyways, I was wondering if it will work in the Caprice. I know that there was a computer change for 4l60Es in '96, but I really don't know much at all about this tranny. Does the year matter? What if it was in an F-body or 'Vette (I'm pretty sure it was in either one)?

I posted this in a Impala SS/Caprice 9C1 forum that I frequent, but you guys are more....technical.

Thanks in advance
    my car:
    '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Well, I know that the 95 and later had a modulated lock-up and 94 did not, but you can alter a 95 & later valve body that has modulated lock-up for a non-modulated lockup PCM with Transgo or other trans kit parts.

Comment

ok, stupid question. What does that mean? When you say lock up, I think converter, not the valve body. Could I just take parts off the '94 and make it work?

BTW the problem with the current tranny is that it won't shift into 3rd or OD
      my car:

the project:
      check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

I don't think so, but I'm no expert. I'm pretty sure the valve bodies are different because of the extra solenoid & valving required for the modulation of the torque converter clutch and there may be some corresponding changes in the tranny case - I just don't know. It's easier to buy the kit than try to compare gaskets, separator plates, valve bodies, and cases. Otherwise you could ask someone at a reputable tranny shop if you can swap a valve body & have it work or try the tech line at ATI, TransGo or B&M.

Comment

Originally posted by wako29
          BTW the problem with the current tranny is that it won't shift into 3rd or OD

I had a 94 LT1 Caprice that had exactly the same problem, got a trans from a junkyard with a supposed 52k miles on it with a 30 day warranty, it lasted 31 days....so what I'm getting at I guess is spend the $$$ and get your existing junk trans rebuilt professionally, it'll save you time and money in the long run....
          Tom Rawlinson
          1998 Z28
          94k and counting...

Comment

Originally posted by phastls1
            I had a 94 LT1 Caprice that had exactly the same problem, got a trans from a junkyard with a supposed 52k miles on it with a 30 day warranty, it lasted 31 days....so what I'm getting at I guess is spend the $$$ and get your existing junk trans rebuilt professionally, it'll save you time and money in the long run....
            yea, I'm thinking about maybe instead installing the tranny I have now, get the car running, and if it starts to go or if it doesnt feel right, get the stock one rebuilt
            my car:

the project:

Comment

Working...
            X